2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When to Replace Receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to Replace Receiver?

Hey yall i plan on doing the evap/heater replacement in a few weeks. Trying to buy all the parts as we speak on MoparOnlineParts.com. So far I have the evap core ($161), heater core($177), vent tube heater core($9), vent tube evap($11), evap drain to dash($7). The last three items I believe are the foam pieces that go on the ends of both cores and the last piece is the drain in the firewall.

SO doing this project, do I need to replace the receiver or not? It would be nice not to spend $90 for the receiver but just wondering if I NEED to. I might have to replace the compressor bc there is a leak around it. I am hoping it is the gasket on top of the compressor...But if I replace the compressor I will then replace the receiver. Kind of a toss up, but I'm not actually doing any AC work on the lines so I don't think I needed to replace it.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rockauto.com is much cheaper.

Evap core http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6768
Heater core http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,6864
The leak you speak of, is it where the two AC lines connect to the top of the compressor? If it is then did you try tightening that bolt in the center of it?

Summitracing is a couple bucks cheaper too.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PLI-398313/

Last edited by Sheriff420; 05-22-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 AM
truegent81
Captain

yeah exactly where the lines connect to the compressor. no haven't tried to tighten it just yet. didn't know if i would tighten it too much and break the line. that's something i can do when i get back though. when we ran the leak detector by the compressor it was beeping but the source was hard to find. either the top of the compressor or some switch.

any idea if i should do the reciever while doing evap?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

If the receiver/dryer is original, go ahead and replace it. Yeah, its another 90 bucks, but, you won't have the pain and suffering of going thru the whole job, only to have to crack the system again, to replace it later.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:38 PM
truegent81
Captain

yeah i was planning to replace the receiver...

if i replace it now, without replacing the compressor, will i have to replace it again if i decide to put in a new compressor? that is the main issue i'm contimplating right now. would this require putting on a new low pressure valve?? could i just use the old valve?

Last edited by truegent81; 05-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

IF the old switch still works, go ahead and re-use it. Changing that does not require recharging the system. (I think.)

Are you going to need to replace your compressor soon? If so, I would do it NOW, instead of cracking into the system twice, and having to pay to have it vacuumed/oiled/recharged twice.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 PM
truegent81
Captain

yeah i was thinking about just reusing the low pressure switch from the dryer on the new one.

thats just it, not sure if i need to replace the compressor. im hoping its just a gasket leak from the discharge line. i've been in colorado springs on vacation and won't be back to my truck until monday. i was hoping to order the parts tonight so i would have it next week to work on by the weekend. thanks hey you for the input, i will just go ahead and order the evap, heater, and dryer now. when i get back monday, i'll check the screw/gasket on top and see if its still leaking. hope not so i dont spend $300 on a freaking compressor.

since the compressor is easy to get to, and they normally don't leak, should i get a cheap one from rock auto or napa if the gasket does not fix the leak?

Old 05-22-2010, 10:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Depends on how long you want it to last...... I know the ones from the dealer are an arm, a leg, half your soul, and your first born male child. And that gets you the bolts that hold it on..... If you want the damn compressor......... better be ready to mortgage your house.

I don't have a lot of experience with the aftermarket compressors. On a system that has only recently failed, (or at least, hasn't been open to the atmosphere for years....) compressors really don't fail that often. Clutches and such, but, not the whole compressor.

Try just the gasket/bolt first, and see if that works. Cross your fingers, toes, and anything else that will bend that way... and hope for the best.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad replaced his compressor on his 98 because the clutch burned up in it. cost him about 230$ at advance. You can replace just the compressor all by itself, but it does require recharging the system. I wouldn't bother with the receiver/dryer, but that's just me. How can you tell when they need to be replaced anyway? oh wait, that's what you were asking, I dunno...

Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 PM
truegent81
Captain

so i took a pic of my receiver again today. the thing i want to know is circled. what is this wire that runs into a green connector? also when i disconnect the connector, can i take a wrench to that piece? it looks like i should be able to take it off with a wrench. also, those two hoses that run into firewall, is that the heater core or evap core? someone said i needed a special tool to remove these two hoses. what is the tool called again? tia yall.

i believe it is some switch. can i take it off and reuse it on NEW receiver?
Name:  DryerConnection.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  85.8 KB

Last edited by truegent81; 05-30-2010 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: When to Replace Receiver?