2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

quick question about under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010 | 12:18 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by RamSport97

CPTA- Did you ever find out what the cause of the fire was?
I bought a Fitch Fuel Catalyst. I was giving a review about it on this forum, and people wanted to see what my mileage was without it. Since I had just put on a pro flo air cleaner at the same time, I knew that would skew my old mileage numbers.

I took it off, and reconnected everything. Then i ran an errand at autozone (almost immediately after). I had leaves and stuff in the compartment, and some of them were on the header.

Long story short, i drove the truck when the engine had small gas pools. It didn't start fire until I was done at autozone and i was about to pull out of the parking lot. So about 1 minute after I started the truck.

So now, if I get fuel around the engine, i spray it down.

DOH

Old 05-28-2010 | 12:18 AM
truegent81
|
Captain

i have all the clips/fasteners, but good to know i can pick em up at a cheaper price. i can reuse the original clips but what can i use to make the holes smaller and be able to stay up like new?

Old 05-28-2010 | 12:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Duct tape. Go over both sides of the rip, mount it back in with the plastic clips.

Old 05-28-2010 | 12:29 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

hmmmm... I talked about removing mine a couple months ago and everyone said go for it... Strange to see such a different opinion. I took it off anyway, it was doing the same as yours, and I don't see any problem with it...

Snow would melt off the hood faster in the winter if nothing else

Old 05-28-2010 | 12:31 AM
truegent81
|
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Duct tape. Go over both sides of the rip, mount it back in with the plastic clips.

yeah i was afraid that would be the answer. i was thinking of that too..but hey if thats the only way what can you do? maybe ill stop and get some black duct tape tomorrow..by far the cheapest fix

Old 05-28-2010 | 01:10 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
hmmmm... I talked about removing mine a couple months ago and everyone said go for it... Strange to see such a different opinion. I took it off anyway, it was doing the same as yours, and I don't see any problem with it...

Snow would melt off the hood faster in the winter if nothing else
I took mine off as well, even though I knew it was for fire protection. Reckon I'll pick me up a small fire extinguisher now.

Old 05-28-2010 | 02:03 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran

they didnt come with one from the factory in 2002 my 02 3500 didnt come with one out of the show room i noticed this because an 01 and 02 were sitting side by side and the 01 had it and the 02 didnt..the sales rep told me that in 02 they discontinued using the under hood liner...it was because the hood liner was acting like a sponge and soaking up that was flung up by the fan from the breather overflow bottle in the diesel's..and causing underhood fires...

Last edited by mrfarrell; 05-28-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-28-2010 | 03:17 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

Originally Posted by truegent81
yeah i was afraid that would be the answer. i was thinking of that too..but hey if thats the only way what can you do? maybe ill stop and get some black duct tape tomorrow..by far the cheapest fix

maybe get some kind of plastic or sumthin and make a sort of washer that has a small hole for the slip in the middle and the rest be big enuff to cover the hole......got a pic of what youre dealin with?

Old 05-28-2010 | 03:24 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

++ keeping a fire extinguisher in the vehicle at all times.

Rather than get the small "automotive" extinguisher which is always a Class BC, get a somewhat larger Class ABC. The puny ones don't have what it takes to put out more than a puny fire, and being Class BC they're worthless if you get an interior fire that involves the upholstery.

Vehicles fires suck.

Old 05-28-2010 | 10:35 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Fire extinguishing capabilities? LMAO! There were trucks that came from the factory with out that. If you're cruising down the road at 55MPH and you have fuel, oil, or transmission fluid land on a header, that pad isn't going to help you. You're making a nice wind tunnel under the hood to begin with. And how you can say that it's needed when you left gas open under the hood is quite laughable. I mean, a spot of oil I can see, but gas??? Good grief.

If it's sagging, just remove it. Hell, I've been with out mine for over 4 years now with no issues at all and I know Silver never had one on his truck to begin with. IT was for sound damping only.

Quick Reply: quick question about under the hood