2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

talk me out of getting rid of my truck....:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i know this getting off-topic but in all honesty, i want to pursue a career in MMA.....i have 3 years boxing under my belt as well as 6 months of Muai Thai

Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
i have 1 misdomeaner change, not drug related...

i have my HS diploma,
Ive passed and Asvab (i think its called) already, but i failed to tell them i was paying on a fine, and the recruiter said once i pay that off, i can go in...but i moved to MA to be with my fiancee isntead.
Well, you should be good. It is not welfare. It is just a way to get some job skills. YOu can be a diesel mechanic (5 cylinder turbo humvees), generator mechanic, aircraft mechanic.

Think about it. they will pay for that skill with schooling, and you get to do that one weekend a month. it doesn't cost you anything and your wife will not get pissed that you are tinkering with anything. BEcause you are doing that AT WORK!!!

THere is the downside of being deployed. But after a deployment of fixing humvees that grunts like me break on a daily basis, any place will hire you.

It is like an army doctor getting out of the army after a deployment of being a trama doctor in Iraq/afghanistan. Hospitals will be lined up to hire that guy.

Mechanics might not see any firefights, but they work round the clock fixing vehicles and making them run in the worst conditions.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

see i am afraid of going to war and being on the frontline...i dont like thinking of what would be if my daughter and fiancee lost me....

Old 06-03-2010, 12:55 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

i know this getting off-topic but in all honesty, i want to pursue a career in MMA.....i have 3 years boxing under my belt as well as 6 months of Muai Thai
https://www.benning.army.mil/combatives/

The army has combatives teams.

Here is a buddy of mine, i helped him train:
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jason-Norwood-31608

We wrestled at the Military Academy together. He is not that good a wrestler. he is also active army at Ft Sill. he makes 300 dollars for a fight (winning)

If you want to do MMA, you better stop smoking. Guarantee that you knock yourself out with your cardio.

MMA is not a career unless you get a contract with the UFC or WEC. I went to college with Mike Thomas Brown (Former WEC bantamweight champ) and he has been doing this stuff since 1998. he did not start making money until 2004.

Don't be delirious man. I have 20 years of wrestling (on the D1, college, and national level), 1 year of boxing and 12 years of judo/jiu-jitsu. I can fight right now, but there is no point...I take that back. i am fighting in August. But that is just for recruiting purposes.

I actually wrestled Josh Koscheck at US nationals in 2003. He is the strongest person i have ever come in contact with in my life.

I doubt that you can support yourself with MMA anytime soon. the UFC pays only 2000 to show and 2000 to win for a pay per view undercard. That is basically a part time fighter with a main job that pays the bills. You will have to pay for a physical exam (including a 1500 dollar MRI) to get certified, and then you will have to pay a gym to train there.

Last edited by CPTAFW163; 06-03-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

see i am afraid of going to war and being on the frontline...i dont like thinking of what would be if my daughter and fiancee lost me....
you can get killed in MMA if you don't know what you are doing. ANd when you are training for a fight with some country bumpkin, for 150 dollars to show up and 150 dollars to win...is the 1200 in dental work, or the broken arm/knee worth not being able to work for 3 months?

I hope you can pay your deductible. You need medical insurance to fight. the promotion does not pay (unless you are named UFC).

Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have caught myself in the same type of situation as you... selling the ol' girl. I know your pain when thinking about selling your pride and joy... trust me, I have owned my truck for almost 11 years now.

But, times changed... I got married, now have a baby boy and the old regular cab rig just isn't cutting it anymore...

So, I have decided to sell the her. I have sunk TONS of money into this thing, and I mean a whole lotta TONS! With just the purchase price, tax/title and the interest from the 5 year loan I have over 30k into it.. and thats without any repairs I have made to it over the years. And while it seams REALLY stupid to me to sell it for measly 4 or 5 grand, I just cant justify having two vehicles for myself right now... and the family could really use the extra cash.

While I am not trying to talk you into selling your pride and joy, always remember... there is (and will be for a long time) a large amount of these trucks for sale (CHEAP) that you can buy later when you are more financially ready.

Just my .02

Old 06-03-2010, 01:21 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

cpta, thats a very valid point with the MMA...

and olyelr, you may be right.....i think i might post a craigslist ad.....but i dont know.....i mean ive only had it 9 months, and i mean i can run it without replacing anything in it right now, and it runs perfect, but when i find the smallest imperfection, i replace it....thats how i am...if i see 1 small drop of coolant, ill rip the thing apart right away and fix it....but due to funds, thats why the problems arent fixed now

but i also have to think of this, im going to ask $2500 for it, and will not take anything less than $2200, and by the time i actually sell it, we will be pretty much stable again....we have $1100 in bills we need to take care of, and we have $300 of that now, i get paid tomorrow, so thats another $275, my fiance works fri, sat, and sunday, and she makes over $100 everyday she works, i work thurs, fri, sat, nights, and ill make about $50 a night (but then i get my wage as well)

so now that i just pieced that together and actually thought about it, i may not have to get rid of it.....Im going to wait 5 days and see how things are, if by Monday we are still in the slumps, im selling Ol' Blue

Old 06-03-2010, 01:39 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Ok, now you are thinking. That sounds 100 times better than trying to be the next Anderson Silva.

2500 is a good starting price. Don't part it out. I tried parting mine out...and i was only trying to sell some injectors, headers, PCM and MSD. No takers, so i put them in my truck (except for headers and PCM). Glad there were no takers!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:45 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

my fiancee was stressing out today because i needed money (i give her all the money, she saves it) to put gas in my truck, and my tank was EMPTY, (i purposly ran it dry so i could drop the tank and fix my gas guage)

and she was saying all kinds of stuff like "we are so screwed, we dont have money", and then i noticed the axle seal leaking....the one i just did....and it set meover the edge and i was stressed right out.....but now that i actually lay it all out...we should do fine....and the dodge can sit in the driveway for a few more weeks....if i can get the maxima legal tomorrow......still want to know what the hell thats about...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 pennies. You have to be able to live before you can pay the bills. What I mean is it doesn't do YOU any good to pay a CC bill if you can't buy enough gas to get to work and then have to use the CC to get to work. When in dire straights I subscribe to paying bills in the following order;

1. Housing
2. Utilities
3. Food
4. Transportation

Anything left over after those 4 is paid based on importance. Credit Cards are far far far far down on the list of importance. If you need repairs, but have another car repairs can wait till your past the "we're screwed" phase. Also, since it sounds like your in your early 20's...do yourself a HUGE favor. One that your 40 year old self will thank you immensely for...Get on a written BUDGET. Takes 20 minutes of your (and your SO) time each payday/week.

Ok, enough of gospel according to Dave.

Military. If your thinking it will be your saving grace, I doubt you'll enjoy any of it. Not only that, it won't save you. Enlisted still don't make ****. You may get schooling paid for, but it doesn't take care of current or future debt. If your dead set on the military (I was dead set when I turned 5), but you don't want to see the front lines there are two other branches to think about. Just depends on how you feel about sitting in the middle of deep blue ocean for months at a time or staring at dust for weeks at a time in Nebraska. Above all, make sure your rate has a good A school (or what ever the equivalent is for the other 3 branches). 6 weeks is not a school, it's preparations for learning how to scrape rust and apply paint. The longer the school (after basic) the more skilled you will need for the job the more opportunities you will have when (if) you get out.

Maybe that was only worth $.01

Quick Reply: talk me out of getting rid of my truck....:(