2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

talk me out of getting rid of my truck....:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:45 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default talk me out of getting rid of my truck....:(

ok so i use my vehicle for my job. Ive been running my maxima for the past 3 weeks...truck has been parked since tranny took on water.

Well i NEEDED an inspection sticker today, and its saying my registration is invalid somehow...ill take care of that tomorrow

but on to the point...i had to use my truck...i havent had a good test drive with it, and its been sitting (ive started it every other day to keep fluids moving) Well upon driving the truck, the trans seems to be good, i had not one shifting problem, but other problems arose....

i had to get pulled off the road tonight because:

1. axle seal started leaking again somehow...i just replaced these 200 miles ago, and havent leaked until tonight....

2. truck is lopsided, driver leaf spring is almost flat

3. upon looking at my diff fluids, they are contaminated with water.

ok with this said, im going to state what ive replaced in it, and what was replaced before i bought it.

-Suspension
-shackles
-plenum
-plugs, wires, coil, dist. cap and rotor
-water pump
-thermostat
-all coolant hoses
-timing cover gasket
-fan clutch
-radiator
-brakes front and rear
-axle seals
-ujoints
-ball joints
-tie rod ends
-wheel bearings
-tranny mount
-Tranny was rebuilt
-kegger mod / cleaned by machine shop
-e-brake
-valve cover gaskets
-all fluids were flushed
-tires
-brake lines
-electrical work

im sure i forgot a few things, but this is what it still needs

-Harmonic Balancer
-Alignment
-ALL fluids flushed again
-timing chain
-axle seals (again somehow)
-Sending Unit
-Window motor
-exhaust/cat
-02 sensors
-egr pipe
-leaf springs
-rear main seal
-front seal
-tranny/xfer case seal
-alternator is starting to go (whining)

I LOVE my truck, and i dont want to get rid of it, but damn, ive only had it 9 months....and we are in need of money...to tell you people the truth, i havent bveen able to go grocery shopping in over a month, all my fiancees and my money has gone towards our daughter, and bills, and we are still far behind....

If you guys were in my situation what would you do? i dont want to get rid of it, but i think its going to need more and more stuff as i fix other things....i mean the truck runs great, but needs work...i dont know what to do...

give me your thoughts

Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
1994ram1500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, honestly, as long as you have another vehicle to drive to work- dump the truck. Family is Way more important than a hunk of metal. later on down the road when you are in better financial standing there will always be an ole dodge pickup to get.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i forgot to add, my job i JUST started, as well as my fiancee just started her job....we went 4 weeks without any income, and thats why we went down the tube....i mean ive already worked out everything with all my bills, and am on my way to getting things together again....

together we are bringing in about 900-1000 a week, but we jsut started last week...we both have the same boss lol (they have a pizza place, which is where i deliver, and they own a breakfast joint, where my fiancee is a waitress)...we are building up a bank, but its to little to late....we'll be caught up in about amonth, but all the problems my truck is going through...

ive had the maxima 6 months longer than my truck and all ive replaced is the belt, alternator, and a brake line, thats it....

Old 06-03-2010, 12:05 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh well then let your money get back to where you were , if you didnt have anything comming in for 4 weeks i would keep it. if you were working socking money into it i would let it go, but you put alot of work into it.

i would look for a parted out ram on craigslist and take it and swap the parts you need

Old 06-03-2010, 12:06 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cut your losses with this truck. Save and buy one that is in better condition.

I consider myself lucky when i got my 2001. After owning a 1996 for 5 years, I had all the knowledge in the world to make a smart buy.

To tell you the truth. The 1996 I JUNKED was in better shape than your truck is now. I just would have felt bad selling my truck to someone in the condition it was in (transfer case was leaking, probably bone dry). So, I could not, in good conscience, sell my truck.

I just took the MSD, injectors, fastman, PCM and headers out of it, and junked it (with 5 33r16 tires and rims. BFG all terrain TAs).

I got ZERO for the truck.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

i have like 600 hours of time invested, 7K worth of parts....i mean thats a BIG hit to take...

I am hopiing it lasts another 2-3 years, until my credits good enought to get my CTD megacab

but it runs awesome, it was going great tonight delivering, it just needs more work....

GOD DAMMIT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

i may have to say bye bye to my ol' girl.....

id be better off parting it....i mean i have a set of $800 tires sitting on that thing alone....as well as after market rims....i could make like $900 bucks just off that, and my tires are still brand new pretty much...have less than 5K on them

......i need to smoke a joint.....im sorry to say that on the forum, but im stressed....

Last edited by 95RAM360; 06-03-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also,

I am the commander of an Army recruiting company. YOu could join the Army Reserves. They can help you get a Job interview with a civilian job (Called the PaYS program).

For example:
Harley Davidson is a PaYS partner with the army. If you get a job in the Army Reserves as a Mechanic, you will go to school and become a mechanic. The Army will also pay for your ASE certification (the COOL program) and you get a job interview with Harley Davidson.

It is basically a way for companies to get a human resources pipeline to their company.

Plus you can qualify for a bonus. ANd full medical coverage is 180 bucks a month through the army. THat is about what you will make for your one weekend a month. But you will get full time pay when you go to boot camp and AIT (AIT is the specialized training, cook, mechanic, truck driver...)

It is a good deal. PM me if you want more info. Mass has great reserve units over there.

Do not go to the national guard, they do not have the PaYS program or COOL program. Also, if you go national guard, you cannot stay in the service if you move out of the state.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM
nopower318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family is way more important, there will always be another truck out there.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

ive thought about that to tell you the truth...

my fiancees sister got married so she could be on base with her husband (air force, they are stationed in Germany) and they are set for life...he just bought a brand new car, a brand new bike, he has everything paid for, doesnt have to buy anything....

so yea ive considered it....i tried going into the marines (2 years ago), but i couldnt for i had a fine i was paying on....

makes me want to cry just thinking about selling my truck....seriously that thing is like a part of me....im VERY attached to my truck

Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

can i be the 1st to have the gearing

i wouldnt part it out till you get another one, and this time get a 96 and up so you have obdII

get your new one swap all the stuff over cause most likley this new one would have 3.55 gearing and you would still have a tranny and motor from your old one

Last edited by lastrights; 06-03-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Quick Reply: talk me out of getting rid of my truck....:(