2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A tale of my woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

cleaning methods sound good. Dropping stuff into various holes is something you want to avoid if you can. Don't worry about the carbon on the pistons.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
gobbell1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Use the razor blade and/or a wire brush on a drill, then follow it up with a 220 or lighter sanding.

2. To keep debris from falling into the block, you can a)plug the block holes (coolant and oil passages) with paper towels or b) have an assistant hold a vacuum cleaner next to the block when you clean.

3. I always like to clean the piston heads, but that requires you to rotate the crank to get each piston at TDC. If rotating the crank is not a concern to you (i.e. timing) then go ahead and put each piston at TDC and scrape the carbon off with a wire wheel on a drill.

4. I think I read where you are sending the heads off for cleaning/machining. If not, make sure you put a straight edge across the mating surface from corner to corner to ensure flatness. Any warpage (even slight) will cause gasket failure in the future (ask me how I know!!!)

Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gobbell1
1. Use the razor blade and/or a wire brush on a drill, then follow it up with a 220 or lighter sanding.

2. To keep debris from falling into the block, you can a)plug the block holes (coolant and oil passages) with paper towels or b) have an assistant hold a vacuum cleaner next to the block when you clean.

3. I always like to clean the piston heads, but that requires you to rotate the crank to get each piston at TDC. If rotating the crank is not a concern to you (i.e. timing) then go ahead and put each piston at TDC and scrape the carbon off with a wire wheel on a drill.

4. I think I read where you are sending the heads off for cleaning/machining. If not, make sure you put a straight edge across the mating surface from corner to corner to ensure flatness. Any warpage (even slight) will cause gasket failure in the future (ask me how I know!!!)
I'll bite -- How do you know?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:24 PM
gobbell1
Professional
Angry

Porsche head...Need I say more?

Attached Thumbnails A tale of my woes-porsche-head.jpg  
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Porsche head...Need I say more?
Porsche 928?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:34 PM
gobbell1
Professional

944, with a whopping 158 hp!!! 2850lbs at the curb!!! But it did have a transaxle setup which shifted the weight about 50/50 from front to back and made for a very tight handling car.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Gary-L
Legend

944, with a whopping 158 hp!!! 2850lbs at the curb!!! But it did have a transaxle setup which shifted the weight about 50/50 from front to back and made for a very tight handling car.
Gotcha. The 924 was actually the performance car to have. Especially the 1988 924.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
calgaryman
Rookie

[QUOTE=gobbell1;2159928]
3. If rotating the crank is not a concern to you (i.e. timing) then go ahead and put each piston at TDC [QUOTE]

Would rotating the crank with the heads off change the timing?

I rotated them last night to get the coolant out of the cylinders when i pulled the head off.

I assumed that it would not as I am not really changing anything. The cam would still turn with the crank, when I bolt the head back on the valves would be in the right postion for the pistons.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by calgaryman
I am thinking the best thing to clean the old head gasket off the block is a disposible razor blade, carb cleaner, and maybe a scotch brite pad. Anyone have any tricks or tips?
My favorite head gasket scraper is a sharpened steel putty knife. A quick pass on the grinder to give the face a knife edge (one side only, the top as you use it), a few passes with a fine file to deburr, and you've got a killer diller gasket scraper that does less damage than a razor blade and works much faster.

That and some fine emery cloth should be all you need.

Should I be concered with small pieces of debris falling into the holes on the block?
Yep. I always use some combination of wood dowels, bits of cloth, shop rags, newspaper, and duct tape to plug the openings.

Should I clean the carbon off the piston heads or just leave them?
Myself, if it's just the usual thin layer, I leave it. It's normal, doesn't cause any harm, and is going to reform within 20k miles or so anyway. If the domes are really cruddy due to some past poor oil control (e.g. a blown plenum gasket that was left for too long) it's probably better to clean up.

If you want to clean it out, be sure you get all of the carbon off of each piston dome that you mess with, and get it all out of the cylinder before reassembly. Once you fracture the layer you have to get all of it, or you risk that what you leave behind will break loose during operation. Chunks of carbon breaking free can do all kinds of unpleasant things like smashing spark plug electrodes, hanging valves, and hastening the demise of catalytic converters.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
gobbell1
Professional

My bad on the timing thing. The last head I removed was on a OHC engine, thus the timing issue.

Quick Reply: A tale of my woes