2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dissolving Locktite

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Fifthwheelin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ing of my own destiny through wielding this green light saber.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
beamwalker
Rookie

i am an ironworker by trade, where we live by "if it ain't tight , it ain't right!"....while that works fine using 3/4" to 2'' high tensile connection bolts, it usually means at least one snapped bolt (and scraped knuckles) when ever i work on the truck...

Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
truegent81
Captain

Permatex® Medium Strength Threadlocker BLUE
OEM specified. All-purpose, medium strength threadlocker. Ideal for all nut and bolt applications 1/4" to 3/4" (6mm to 20mm). Eliminates need for stocking expensive lock nuts and lock washers. Locks and seals while preventing parts loosening due to vibration. Protects threads from corrosion. Removable with hand tools for easy disassembly.

Suggested Applications:
Valve cover bolts, water pump bolts, oil pan bolts, drive shaft bolts, rocker arm adjustment nuts, carburetor studs

thats from the permatex site. aim just had a bad break (no pun intended) but i hope you got this taken care of with ease. you got a sitrep for us? aim you said you just tightened it down with a wrench and it still snapped. i wanted to know how many of yall torque every little bolt to specs? for those that don't, do you torque any or just tighten by hand til it is secured and tight?

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what bolt it is. If it has a gasket or bearing under it then it gets the torque wrench for sure.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Fifthwheelin
Rookie

Head bolts, flywheel bolts, torque converter bolts all get the torque wrench. Everything else is torqued to german torqu specs guddentight

Blue loctite may be removable by hand if you put a dab on. If your like me, the bolt was wet on every thread, and requires heat.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems as though the B12 Chemtool Carb cleaner contains MEK.

I bought some auto paint stripper that has some Methyl Chloride. I'll shoot it a few times with that, and tackle it tomorrow morning.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 PM
truegent81
Captain

Originally Posted by Fifthwheelin
Head bolts, flywheel bolts, torque converter bolts all get the torque wrench. Everything else is torqued to german torqu specs guddentight

Blue loctite may be removable by hand if you put a dab on. If your like me, the bolt was wet on every thread, and requires heat.
lol, thats another way of putting it.

yeah i guess it just depends on how much of the threadlocker you use. i noticed on the permatex packaging they only use the threadlocker on the bottom portion of the fastener which does make sense.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what you yp to this time?.... putting the cam back in? or you just like taking this top halft of thoses motors apart every ohter month..lol

Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm contemplating revisiting the cam this summer. This bolt just snapped when I went to tighten it.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
plumbob1968

Originally Posted by truegent81
Permatex® Medium Strength Threadlocker BLUE
OEM specified. All-purpose, medium strength threadlocker. Ideal for all nut and bolt applications 1/4" to 3/4" (6mm to 20mm). Eliminates need for stocking expensive lock nuts and lock washers. Locks and seals while preventing parts loosening due to vibration. Protects threads from corrosion. Removable with hand tools for easy disassembly.

Suggested Applications: Valve cover bolts, water pump bolts, oil pan bolts, drive shaft bolts, rocker arm adjustment nuts, carburetor studs

thats from the permatex site. aim just had a bad break (no pun intended) but i hope you got this taken care of with ease. you got a sitrep for us? aim you said you just tightened it down with a wrench and it still snapped. i wanted to know how many of yall torque every little bolt to specs? for those that don't, do you torque any or just tighten by hand til it is secured and tight?

not very often unless its something that i think really needs to be right....and once i grabbed my ft lb torqe wrench and snapped a bolt....the specs were in inch lbs....have checked a little better since then

Quick Reply: Dissolving Locktite