2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooper s/t vs BFG a/t

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooper s/t vs BFG a/t

Hi all,
I went and priced out a new set of 265/75/r16 tires this morning. Mounted, balanced, and installed it comes to...

$681.76- Cooper Discoverer s/t

$817.44- BFG a/t

I was told that the Coopers last about 40k, while the BFGs usually last about 50k and they're slightly better off road. I've always wanted a set of BFGs, but they'er kinda pricey. The Coopers are about $135 cheaper, but I'm not sure if I'll be entirely happy with them (My boss seems to think they'er the best thing since sliced bread). Anyone running either of these tires? What do ya think about them?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:34 PM
CSXfan
All Star

I ended up getting the BFGs. I think the extra miles I'll get out of them is worth the extra money.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
northernRAM

bfg's are a classic, they perform great in all conditions and wear just as well. Good choice

Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 PM
beamwalker
Rookie

good choice...my experience with bfg a/t's was that they're a tough tire to beat (and beat them i did)

Old 06-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Two things:

1- I ran a set of those exact Coopers and loved every mile of them. They handled just perfectly in all conditions, wore very well and I got over 50k out of them.

2- HOLY CRAP! those are cheap prices!! When I priced another set last fall they wanted over 1000 for the coopers. I ended up getting Nittos which I don't like. I would be all over those STs at that price. I've seen alot of BFGs wear out too soon and cost way too much.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Two things:

2- HOLY CRAP! those are cheap prices!! When I priced another set last fall they wanted over 1000 for the coopers. I ended up getting Nittos which I don't like. I would be all over those STs at that price. I've seen alot of BFGs wear out too soon and cost way too much.
Yeah I bought the tires from a "hole in the wall" shop. After I got his quote for $817 out the door I called around to all the bigger tire shops. They all wanted anything from $960 to $990! Here's how the phone conversation went with my local Belle tire...

Salesman- "After everything the total will be $986"

Me- "986!!? I can get the same thing from a local shop for $817"

Salesman- "Oh...You can? Well I can beat that...give me just a second, I'll see what I can do"

*he puts me on hold for less than 10 seconds*

Salesman- "Ok I can get you out the door for 813"

Me- "How is it so much cheaper all of the sudden? Where you just hoping I would bend over, grab my ankles, and take it like a man? C'mon, that's not the way to treat new customers." *CLICK*

I really hate it when people try to screw me over.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM
imhotep
Professional

I am running 285 coopers now and I love them. They handle great a ride like a dream. I used Kumho's before these and none of the Kumho's ever reached EEOL.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Yeah I bought the tires from a "hole in the wall" shop. After I got his quote for $817 out the door I called around to all the bigger tire shops. They all wanted anything from $960 to $990! Here's how the phone conversation went with my local Belle tire...

Salesman- "After everything the total will be $986"

Me- "986!!? I can get the same thing from a local shop for $817"

Salesman- "Oh...You can? Well I can beat that...give me just a second, I'll see what I can do"

*he puts me on hold for less than 10 seconds*

Salesman- "Ok I can get you out the door for 813"

Me- "How is it so much cheaper all of the sudden? Where you just hoping I would bend over, grab my ankles, and take it like a man? C'mon, that's not the way to treat new customers." *CLICK*

I really hate it when people try to screw me over.
That's hilarious! I kept getting the response that it was because the oil prices went up two years ago thus tires also went up. Only oil has since gone back down but tires haven't. WTH?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Anyone else looking to buy BFG A/T's, look into Wardens from Treadwright. Identical tread to BFG and half the cost. You can even get them with BFG carcasses.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 PM
SnowFox

:P i looked into treadwright then i realized that the shipping kills the money u save on the tires....

Quick Reply: Cooper s/t vs BFG a/t