2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It cranked last saturday that's what is so baffling about this. Hemi dak the Gen 3 rams don't have an interior fuse panel. The Gen 2 rams do. My number 21 22 and 23 fixes were blown. Not sure what they run but I replaced them and still no cranking. I wish I could hit a reboot switch and set everything back to factory. I miss the days of being able to dump fuel in the carb and cranking to see if a motor is good or not.

Last edited by DDIRI; 01-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:59 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You got the flashers to quit flashing and everythings back to normal on you're dash ???

Congrats on that......Now , it still won't spin over ? Which computer do you have in it ?
Sounds to me like you have an issue someone would have to be looking at to figure out..Keep us posted , I'm confident that you'll figure it out .. If you have to ~, look back on some of the Ideas we talked about before..If you have any questions about anything , wiring etc...I'll be here...
I have learned about as much from trying to help you as I did with my own truck..
I don't know everything by no means , and I'm still learning .. we'll figure it out , just pay close attention to certain wires , like red , yellow , brown and GR/OR.. ALL POWER WIRES...

Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Yeah the flashers quit. I have tried both ECMs to no avail. not sure if I am getting a good connection from my ECM plugs two of them were slightly damaged in the rollover. I'm going to pull them and see if any pins are pushed out of place on the plugs. all my wires seem to be going where they are supposed to. I'm debating a cab off rebuild of this thing. If I cant figure something out I am going to have to start over.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Originally Posted by DDIRI
It cranked last saturday that's what is so baffling about this. Hemi dak the Gen 3 rams don't have an interior fuse panel. The Gen 2 rams do. My number 21 22 and 23 fixes were blown. Not sure what they run but I replaced them and still no cranking. I wish I could hit a reboot switch and set everything back to factory. I miss the days of being able to dump fuel in the carb and cranking to see if a motor is good or not.
Dito brother u and I Both....The Dakota has the inside fuse panel also..I checked on carberating my RAM "You don't want to know what that would cost..I would have to sell one of my Harleys to do it..

Last edited by HemiDak-Quad; 01-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:08 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

Yeah the flashers quit. I have tried both ECMs to no avail. not sure if I am getting a good connection from my ECM plugs two of them were slightly damaged in the rollover. I'm going to pull them and see if any pins are pushed out of place on the plugs. all my wires seem to be going where they are supposed to. I'm debating a cab off rebuild of this thing. If I cant figure something out I am going to have to start over.
Unfortunately , Sometimes square one is the only place to start.................. ......................... It sux when you can see the finish line but it ends up being the starting line instead..

Old 01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Unfortunately , Sometimes square one is the only place to start.................. ......................... It sux when you can see the finish line but it ends up being the starting line instead..
Yeah I am sure you felt that way when you got hit in your dakota. I looked into carbs and for 6k I could take it to a shop say "get the motor going throw a turbo on it and drop it off later this week." The price isn't worth it. plus you lose power and fuel economy.

I just was out going through everything again I notice I am not hearing my fuel pump cycle when I turn the key. The scan tool is saying that it cant communicate with the PCM . This is really strange I haven't done anything since last saturday other than try to readjust the PCM and swapping in and out the two I have. I have been reading and it seems other people are having the same issue I am.

Last edited by DDIRI; 01-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 PM
rapidtransitric
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try this

http://www.4shared.com/document/uUNW...ce_Manual.html

Last edited by rapidtransitric; 01-14-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:07 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Rapid What is that??? I can't see anything other than a bunch of black boxes......

Old 01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rapid What is that??? I can't see anything other than a bunch of black boxes......
It's a download page for the 2003 Service Manual.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:26 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran

i just read the last few pages...seems your having alarm issues...at my old job we use to get vehicles in with no keys all the time and had similar issues...the trick was to match the steering column with the ecm then it would run...you could run an automatic truck with a manual steering column and manual computer and a manual truck with a auto set up also, as long as the steering column matched the computer..normally if it was a skim truck we would use a skim column thou..so this may attribute to your issue..also the ignition switch on the 02-05 rams with tilt columns had issues with the ignition switch and wiring harness going to it melting, id inspect that also..and the factory alarm get disarmed and reset when you disconnect the battery...

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram