2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 PM
DDIRI
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for a decent Short block or a junkyard motor as we speak. I have that funds-a-low virus again. My wife is pretty over my driveway money pit which makes it hard to get money for a new motor. She its talking about me cutting my losses and parting it out. I know if i had had a good motor this thing would have been going but i think i got dealt a crappy hand. It its what it is. If i can't find a short block on the cheap or a decent junkyard motor I'm going to be calling this one. Sometimes you need to know when to walk away.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:34 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could scrap that block, and get a little cash for it, put it towards something.....

Sucks you got a bum motor....

Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Dude, don't listen to her!
You're on to something here! CONTINUE!!!!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Ratram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with these guys on this. You've come this far, finish it up. Even if you have to side line it for a bit until you can find enough money and another engine. Finish it. Years later, you will still look back on this as the one that got away if you don't.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just think , when you get another motor it will be plug-n-play..

Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM
98hemi-ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
just think , when you get another motor it will be plug-n-play..
Exactly!! You've already got all the hard parts done. Switching the motor out now should be the easy part!! Keep at it man don't give up on it yet.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:34 AM
DDIRI
Professional

So i got my old cam out. Inspected the journals bearings everything looked fine. Put the new cam in. Installed my new chain cam gear and as i was trying to get the harmonic balancer bolt out I snapped my new cam gear bolt. So now i am going to have to get the old/new bolt out so that I can put a new bolt in. I have no clue why these bolts are so dang flimsy. It only had 90ft llbs on it.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:56 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

The camshaft sprocket bolt only gets torqued to 90 ft-lbs.. Has the torque wrench you're using been set lately and checked for accuracy ? I think 85 lbs and some red loctite would have held it. It seems to me that torque wrench might be off a little ...
Good Luck Man.. I wanna see that damned thing run...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 PM
DDIRI
Professional

Fixed the bolt buttoned it all back up. the vibration damper back on and my crank bolt seems to have gottenjammed somehow. How is totally beyond me. Going to be putting some heat on it tomorrow ave trying to back it out. We will see how things go. My torque wrench is way out of spec. I don't like the twist style torque wrenches had one growing up that was the needle style thing never let me down.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 AM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain

I really hope for you're sake this isn't an indication of how this truck is going to treat you the whole time you have it..I've never met anyone with such bad luck with one vehicle...Get it together man ... you're close...

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap into a 2nd Generation Ram