2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C works (very) briefly

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:25 PM
0verdrive
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C works (very) briefly

I recently purchased a 2001 Ram 1500 that had been hit on the front end. I've replaced the fender and hood, and am getting to the point where I'm fixing "smaller" issues like the A/C.

When I turn on the A/C, it seems to work for a very short time (a minute or two) before blowing hot air. I checked the lines leading to the condenser and verified that they aren't crimped. I also checked the R134a pressure, which is fully charged. At that point, I took it to a mechanic, who was hesitant to do much with it because he noticed that there isn't much air moving through the condenser, and he isn't sure if this is due to my not having the rest of the front end in place to direct the air. But the only parts I haven't reinstalled are the new bumper and grille - everything else is in place.

As an FYI: the test the mechanic used was to place a piece of paper in front of the condenser while the engine was running - it fell to the ground, rather than clinging to the condenser. Then he put the paper in front of the radiator, but behind the condenser - it clung to the radiator as expected.

So I have the following questions:

1) Is it possible that the bumper and/or grille directs the air flow enough that the the condenser would work?

2) Is there some other shroud that the previous owner may have removed that went between the radiator and the condenser to ensure that the air flow came through the condenser, instead of around it?

3) I noticed that in a (relatively) small area of the condenser, the fins are bent together from when the bumper hit the condenser when the previous owner hit a tree. This obviously will create an air obstruction, although given the relatively small area, I wouldn't think it would make _that_ much of a difference. All the same, I'd like to straighten the fins out. I've seen condenser combs that would straighten fins - anyone know where I can get one of those?

4) It looks like starting in 2002, Dodge started using condenser fans, but the 2001 relies on the engine fan. If nothing else, is there an after-market condenser fan that I could install that would work with the 2001 model?

When I get home, I'm going to set a box fan in front of the condenser to see if that solves the A/C problem, but regardless of the outcome, I need to figure out why there isn't any airflow across the condenser - suggestions?

Thanks,
~Dean

Old 06-15-2010, 05:54 PM
tmerritt530

Yeah the condenser being in front of the radiator isn't the greatest. You can get condenser combs at harbor freight tools and i would think oreilly's or autozone.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM
0verdrive
Rookie

Thanks for the info on the condenser combs!

I've been doing a little reading online - several posts mention the fan clutch, which I dismissed, since there was enough air flow to hold the paper to the radiator. But would it be possible that the clutch is engaged enough to cool the engine, but not enough to pull the air through the condenser?

If, when I test with a box fan, the A/C works, would the fan clutch be a good thing to replace? (Is there a good way to test it, or do I just assume it's faulty, and see if replacing it does the trick?)

Also, if I do decide to replace the clutch, is there a particular brand/model that anyone would recommend? (OEM vs aftermarket, etc)

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:41 PM
tmerritt530

The way to test the fan clutch is (carefully i might add) stick a piece of cardboard into the fan while it is running. If it clobbers right through it then the fan is good. If it slows down or stops just from cardboard it needs replacing. In such condition it can pull enough to hold paper to the radiator.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:13 AM
0verdrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmerritt530
The way to test the fan clutch is (carefully i might add) stick a piece of cardboard into the fan while it is running. If it clobbers right through it then the fan is good. If it slows down or stops just from cardboard it needs replacing. In such condition it can pull enough to hold paper to the radiator.
Looks like the clutch is the culprit - it's running enough to cool the engine, but when I stuck a piece of cardboard in the fan, it stopped completely.

That said, does anyone have recommendations as to a particular manufacturer? (Does it matter much, in this case?) A brief search shows Hayden, Imperial, or OEM options. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any clutch should do you fine, I've never heard a gripe about a recently purchased fan clutch.

If there's a Delphi one, I usually trust their parts.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Nathan_

Before you replace the clutch, try the relay...

The relay is located on the driver side next to the battery. Relays cost $10ish and Ive had 4 go out this past year.

To trouble shoot, switch the relay with the HORN relay. If the problem continues, then move on to the clutch...

Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It could be the pigtail connector at the compressor. My A/C wasn't working and when I had it serviced, the tech unplugged the compressor and plugged it in to the harness -- voila, it worked. I plan on cleaning the connector and hitting the pins with di-electric grease.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 PM
0verdrive
Rookie
Default closer...

Okay, I checked the relay, which was good. So I replaced the fan clutch, which made a big difference in fan speed, and keeps the A/C cold for a decent amount of time.

But now it stops when I accelerate hard. And after it stops working, it takes a while before it starts working again. For example: when I accelerate onto the highway, the A/C immediately goes warm and doesn't cool down until after I turn the truck off for a little while.

Any thoughts as to what would cause the A/C to stop working after a hard acceleration? Any thoughts as to why it would continue to not work after going warm?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
ghost4321
Professional

There is supposed to be a shroud between the condenser and the rad.

Quick Reply: A/C works (very) briefly