2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C works (very) briefly

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:51 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I am not mistaken our temp settings work off vacuum. You might have a vac leak. Does your vent setting change on its own? Sounds like that sort of issue just a different fault.

When you checked the fan how hot was it? That is a thermal clutch and if its cold it will not allow the fan to turn enough to pull. Anything will stop it.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 PM
greenmachine
All Star

Originally Posted by ghost4321
There is supposed to be a shroud between the condenser and the rad.
Since when?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
ghost4321
Professional

My 01 has one, that's all I know.

ETA, Now that I think about it the shroud may be part the the aux trans cooler (which is between the rad and condenser) package.

Last edited by ghost4321; 06-20-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 AM
0verdrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by greenmachine
If I am not mistaken our temp settings work off vacuum. You might have a vac leak. Does your vent setting change on its own? Sounds like that sort of issue just a different fault.

When you checked the fan how hot was it? That is a thermal clutch and if its cold it will not allow the fan to turn enough to pull. Anything will stop it.
When I checked the fan, it was warm enough that I think it should have been moving faster - I kept burning myself on the radiator coolant lines while replacing the clutch. Also, once it was replaced, the fan ran much faster than it did just before being replaced.

But you could be right about the vacuum - I had taken it to a mechanic, who fixed a few vacuum leaks, but I guess he could have missed one. I say this because I've noticed that when I accelerate hard, the vent sometimes switches to blow through the defrost, rather than the panel vents. I thought it was strange, but because I've never owned a truck before, I didn't know if this was normal.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
0verdrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghost4321
My 01 has one, that's all I know.

ETA, Now that I think about it the shroud may be part the the aux trans cooler (which is between the rad and condenser) package.
I'll check for this, too...

Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by 0verdrive
When I checked the fan, it was warm enough that I think it should have been moving faster - I kept burning myself on the radiator coolant lines while replacing the clutch. Also, once it was replaced, the fan ran much faster than it did just before being replaced.

But you could be right about the vacuum - I had taken it to a mechanic, who fixed a few vacuum leaks, but I guess he could have missed one. I say this because I've noticed that when I accelerate hard, the vent sometimes switches to blow through the defrost, rather than the panel vents. I thought it was strange, but because I've never owned a truck before, I didn't know if this was normal.
Do a search on "wild vents", what you are seeing is 'normal' for our trucks. That does not imply that is how it is 'supposed' to work.

Quick Reply: A/C works (very) briefly