2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about u-joints and a/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Fubba
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about u-joints and a/c

Mine is a 96 4x4 with the 5.2 to start off. My first question is how do you know if the u-joints and ball joints are bad? The reason I ask this is when I drive between 5-20 mph there is a clunking sound coming from the front of the truck around the wheels. I've tried moving the tire while it's on the lift, but there is no movement.

My second question is does anyone know where I can buy new or used interior air vents? I've searched ebay but came up with nothing. Mine have been broken for awhile, and it's irritating.

My last question is does anyone know the part number for the check valve under the hood that controls the vents? My local dealer lost Chrysler when they cut out some of the dealers so my only access is an hour away. I would like to order it online if possible.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 PM
northernRAM

that usually is a sure sound that bad ball joints make...as for the u joints, just check for excess slop or movement above the normal and that should tell you what kinda shape they are in. You said you had the truck on the lift, did you try lifting the truck and steering the wheels side to side yourself from under the engine compartment watching the balljoints for slop or un-normal movement?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Fubba
Professional

Originally Posted by northernRAM
that usually is a sure sound that bad ball joints make...as for the u joints, just check for excess slop or movement above the normal and that should tell you what kinda shape they are in. You said you had the truck on the lift, did you try lifting the truck and steering the wheels side to side yourself from under the engine compartment watching the balljoints for slop or un-normal movement?
I will put it back up tomorrow and try turning the wheels.

When will I notice slop in the u-joints? Is it when spinning the wheels?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 AM
rczanstke
Professional

bad front axle u-joints will make a clicking sound when moving when going bad. It will normally be more noticeable when turning in a particular direction. A bad u-joint will have excess play. You can sometimes tell it's bad just by looking at it. Also, if you replace u-joints, i would replace them both. I replaced one, and two weeks later, the other one needed to be replaced.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fubba
I will put it back up tomorrow and try turning the wheels.

When will I notice slop in the u-joints? Is it when spinning the wheels?
Usually the u joint will bind up a bit when going bad, so while someone is turning the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock you should slowly spin the tire and will hear the universal rub, or the tire slow down, or wobble.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:33 PM
dodgeman52
Captain

junkyard for the air vents

Quick Reply: Questions about u-joints and a/c