2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

do e fans work

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
1998ram5.9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do e fans work

I want to get an eletric fan set up. Iv heard you get a little more power cause you can run a shorter belt. Are they worth the money? Thanks

Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 PM
dodgeman52
Captain

u would run the same size belt with elecric fans. are u talking about underdrive pullies?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:56 PM
1998ram5.9
Veteran

oh no i get it, you just take the clutch fan off but leave the pulley on the water pump?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 PM
dodgeman52
Captain

yea theres alot of theads about it try searching some of then

Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

people take off the electic fans of ford taures i heard and work great

Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
JohnnyZJ
Professional

it'll give you better throttle response because it doesn't have to turn that heavy fan. maybe 5 - 10 hp? it is possible.

a cheap trick us jeepers use is grabbing Ford Taurus fans out of the V6 cars. these things are huge, with big 'S' fan blades. i believe they pull close to 3800 CFM on high. its more than enough on a jeep 4L, but i'm unsure on the dodge trucks.

cool mods though, specially if you go wheeling and like mud; you can turn it off for water crossings/etc so you don't shoot mud and crap everywhere. just make sure to turn it bakc on

Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got one,, ran it for a little it was ok i needed to buy a switch so iwould come on by itselft, i i told it off till i got one

kinda didnt like all the power i took at a red light(alt)

power? ya a little

Old 06-16-2010, 06:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The belt has nothing to do with it. It has to do with taking the drain a clutch fan places on the engine (especially at low rpms) and directs it to the electrical system. Instead of engine HP being spent on parasitically turning the fan, the load is placed on the battery in terms of amp draw.

You can expect to see a 14-18 HP gain (well not really a gain, but it's free'd up) at the crank which would equate to roughly 8-10 HP at the rear wheels.

The other huge advantage to an efan is that the CFM flow is a constant, irregardless of engine RPM, so you won't over-heat in the middle of the summer when you get stuck in stop and go traffic. Also a BIG plus off-road, where you sometimes crawl at low RPMs. Anytime you have low rpms the clutch fan is terribly inefficient.

Gave me a nice little 2 MPG gain in town, highway MPGs are about the same as before. IMO it's the only mod you can expect to pay off in MPG savings as the initial cost is fairly low. Most MPG mods take the life of the vehicle to make back because of the cost of them.

Taurus/Mark VII fans are a great pick and pull item or you can do what I did and purchase a Black Magic kit and have everything you need in the box...

Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another member (SMKNRAM) told me he picked up a solid 1.5mpg with just an e-fan. His controller kicks the fan onto low speed and he has a switch for the high speed. The only times he has had to kick on high speed was at the top of a long incline while wheeling and I believe in a really hilly area in the mountains. His fan came off a 94 Ford Taurus. Other mid 90's Fords used the same fan too.
Mark VIII is a car in case you didn't know (I didn't) It's a Lincoln and it wasn't out for too long.
I got two fans, one off a mid 90's Ford Thunderbird and the other off a mid 90's Mercury Cougar, they both flow a lot of air and are two speed (two speed is key).

Here's a couple articles worth a read.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...l-pics-233676/

Last edited by Sheriff420; 06-16-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: happy aim?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark VIII fans (not a Mark 7 boys, ) move plenty of CFM, but they have a helluva amp draw. I want to say somewhere in the 30's IIRC??? The dual Taurus fans work well, but pull a bunch too.

I run 2 proform fans, one 16" and one 14" and it keeps the engine plenty cool in the Texas summer, even with my underdrive pulley on, which further slows alt output. The 16" pulls 9amps and the 14" pulls 8amps at max draw. I have a flex a lite 31165 controller so I don't have to mess with turning them on or off, it's temp controlled. I have never overheated with the fans working correctly.

The total system voltage is 13.2V at the absolute worst case scenario: headlights on, max AC, radio blasting, phone plugged in, iPod charging, fans at max, SCT plugging in and monitoring volts, and idling. As soon as I tap the gas and get off idle, I'm right back up to 14.4V. I also have a couple gauges and wideband O2 sensor that are constantly powered, as well as an MSD box that draws an extra amp or so. Never had the battery die on me yet.

If you do go the e-fan route, be very, very picky about the wiring and make really solid connections and tie them down so they aren't loose. I had the wiring short on me once and fans stopped working. The only reason I noticed was the trans temp gauge climbed up into the 200's and I freaked and pulled over and shut her down for a bit.

Walked to the local bar and had a few cold ones and waited for rush hour to end so I wouldn't be stuck in traffic and overheat again.

Quick Reply: do e fans work