2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Kegger mod question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kegger mod question

Ok, here's my questions. I happened to come across a free kegger and tb. I've modded the tb. The intake manifold on my truck right now is one that doesn't have the center divider. The one I got for free does. Now here's my question: which one is really better? I mean, I see almost everyone that has a divided manifold take the divider out, but then again, you have some that do the turtle mod. However, that mod closes the gap on the bottom. I'm just curious, should I use my time on this manifold, clean it up, mod it whichever way is best, or just wait to take my old one out and mod that.

Just looking for solid proof of which is better. Divider or no divider? Part of me says no divider= increased air flow. The other part of me says divider=more DIRECTED flow. Just want peoples opinions backed up with some sort of proof.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

There is no proof, other than the fact that Dodge omitted the divider in about 97, or 98, (or thereabouts) themselves, and the newer trucks didn't have it.....

The idea behind the turtle is it is wider at the bottom.... so directs airflow toward the runner entrances. Does it make a difference? No clue.

Mod the one you have out. Remove the center wall. Get it all ready and pretty, so that when you decide to do it, you don't have to spend a lot of time modding the manifold you took off. Also, if you screw up, and ruin the manifold, you lose nothing.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:53 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i cant say is that in 1998 the 5.2 picked up 10hp and that was the year the lost the divider and had a diff cat back exhaust

not saying you get 10hp for cutting it out just putting that out there

Last edited by dodgeram07; 06-29-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant really answer your question with any proof, but one thing I can tell you is that on my 2000 5.9, when I was installing the Hughes plenum plate, I did the "kegger mod" and the "throttle body mod" (basically removing the tall runners on each and shining it up a bit) and felt absolutely no difference in any seat of the pants performance. I have no proof with any dyno numbers, but I can say I didn't feel a darn thing. This was with the an intake without the center divider.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Yea, I spent about 5 hours of cutting doing my kegger, dremels suck. Noticed no gain, I didn't even notice a gain when I replaced the gasket, probably blew the damn thing the second I turned it on.

Worth it if you are bored though. Kept me away from a naggy girlfriend at the time.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 AM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by rumble_truck
Yea, I spent about 5 hours of cutting doing my kegger, dremels suck. Noticed no gain, I didn't even notice a gain when I replaced the gasket, probably blew the damn thing the second I turned it on.

Worth it if you are bored though. Kept me away from a naggy girlfriend at the time.
How exactly did you mod it? How much did you cut of the runners and at what angle? Just curious.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:07 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

do a quick search there are alot of threads about how to do this

Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by J415
How exactly did you mod it? How much did you cut of the runners and at what angle? Just curious.
I would tell ya to do a quick search cause I know I posted pics of mine on here when I did it... but I just tried finding the thread to no avail.

edit: found it https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...completed.html

Last edited by olyelr; 06-29-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by olyelr
I would tell ya to do a quick search cause I know I posted pics of mine on here when I did it... but I just tried finding the thread to no avail.

edit: found it https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...completed.html
The reason I was asking was to, first, find out how much they cut off the runners. And second, to find out the results they got for future reference (I'll be doing that mod soon).

Quick Reply: Kegger mod question