2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cracked up dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unregistered, first off i did not spout off without looking into things first. second it was rude of you the way that you jumped in on that. i am simply trying to offer people a simple solution to a PITA problem. changing a dash out is not easy, putting on a nice, well constructed cover is. are there other solutions to the problem, absolutly. but you did not have to be a dick about it and try and trump my simple solution.

i am curious though, did you manage to find any proof of this "fire hazard" because i am very internet savy and i was not able to.

hawayyan- the only step by step that i know of would be in the factory repair manual. i have never looked personally but that would be my best guess. it is a bit of a project to replace though.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:17 PM
tango-52
Amateur

Originally Posted by beefythedodge
i could make it as a complete replacement dash, but that would be expensive, the way that i was proposing was a cover that "clicked" on kind of like a cell phone hard case. It would go around all vents, and cover right down to the seam at the glove box. I am making the mold for it today, will have pics of mine completed by the weekend. I will then get a price list together, of course with a dodge forum discount! ;-)
Well, if that is what you are going for, others have beat you to it:
http://www.stockinteriors.com/DashCa...33&ModelId=160

Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know what's out there. I can understand wanting to do your own project to, so have fun with it.

In fact, it would be cool to make a cover that included instrument pod-type holes for additional aftermarket gauges. That would be sweet.

Last edited by tango-52; 07-06-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Bubba39047
Captain

but his can be painted. if you get it down to where its a firm clip on, and reasonably priced (i like the dodgeforum discount idear) then im for it. id buy one.

+1 on the including instrument pod-type holes.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

Originally Posted by beefythedodge
wow... i am sure if this was a problem we would all have new dashes for free from dodge after someone sued dodge for burning their truck down. obviously replacing the dash is the optimal way to go, but most people probably do not have the budget, time, ar ability to change out the whole dash. its much easier to pull out the big broken pieces put a fiberglass cover on it and call it a day.

see these trucks every day with 2,3,even 4-5 hundred thousand miles on them. and never once have i heard of an electrical fire caused by a deteriorating dash. plus 97% of the wiring in the dash is under the steering column by the fuse panel area. the only thing under the upper dash panel is the ac ducting. i build custom panels like this literally every day. it is not a fire hazard.

You'd be suprised how many 2nd gens in the junkyard around where I live are there because of fire damage.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:02 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran

well i have a solution that solves everyones problems. if you are concerned about a fire due to the dash breaking up, then before you install my fiberglass cover (which will NEVER deteriorate in the sun) then remove all the rest of the cracked top of the dash before you install the cover. then there is no risk of fire, plus you have the custom touch instead of a direct repacement.

tango i am not in anyway claiming that this is a one of a kind idea. but with what i do for a living i can make it exactly to my customers design. if you want guage pods built in, you got it. i am going to be putting three guages on mine, as well as some illuminated plexiglass. i am going to put on a boost guage, egt, and digital voltometer for sound system.

i have the mold at 90% as of today, i will be fine tuning it tomorrow and should be beginning the cover for my truck. will post pics for sure.

and by the way bubba, you will be impressed at how good i am with my glass work. it will look like it came from a factory. and i also have on site spray booth and a staff airbrusher at my shop. so if anyone has interest in custom graphics we can def take care of you on that one.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Obiejuankinobie
Professional

Beefy, I sure am interested. I will keep my eye on this post.
Thanks

Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I may be interested as well. Post pics when you are done please, and what type of prices are we looking at?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Bubba39047
Captain

wow, im inpressed at your establishment. but all i can see is more and more $$$ as your goin on lol. let us know

Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
beefythedodge
Veteran

i have not settled on price list yet. i am going to have a couple of different versions available. obviously the fancier it gets, the more money it will cost. but what i can guarantee is a you will be happy with the professional, show quality look of my work.

there will be pics up by this weekend for sure, and as soon as i have pics, there will also be a price list.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Bubba39047
Captain

10-4 on that

Quick Reply: cracked up dash?