2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cracked up dash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010 | 08:17 AM
beefythedodge
|
Veteran
Default cracked up dash?

The dash on my ram looks like its been through a war, even though its been babied, which lets me know that just about all of you prob have the same problem. And i would guess that most of you alose have a carpet dash pad covering the holes.

This week i am going to be making a fiberglass dash cover for my truck, because i hate how the dash pad sags and i can still tell where the holes are. At my shop we build alot of show quality fiberglass panels for all types of vehicles. I am going to make a mold so that i can duplicate it at will. This way i have a rigid dash board that will hold up, and can make them to order for anyone else who is interested.

I can wrap them in carpet or any other material you would like, paint them to match the truck or any other color, and also texture them to match the factory dash look.

Is this something anyone would be interested in?

Old 07-05-2010 | 08:20 AM
Bubba39047
Captain

would it be like a cove. like a case for the dash? or like a new dash, but one thats fiberglass?

Old 07-05-2010 | 11:23 AM
tango-52
Amateur

Depends on the cost, but if it replaces the crappy stock dash I'd be up for one.

Old 07-05-2010 | 12:09 PM
beefythedodge
|
Veteran

i could make it as a complete replacement dash, but that would be expensive, the way that i was proposing was a cover that "clicked" on kind of like a cell phone hard case. It would go around all vents, and cover right down to the seam at the glove box. I am making the mold for it today, will have pics of mine completed by the weekend. I will then get a price list together, of course with a dodge forum discount! ;-)

Old 07-05-2010 | 01:00 PM
gertie240
Captain

Good luck ,I'll be watching for it. I was think about gettig the local fab shop to bend me up one out sheet metal, something that will take the south Texas heat. Why would Dodge build something that won't last as long as the rest of the truck.

Old 07-05-2010 | 03:58 PM
beefythedodge
|
Veteran

i am in central florida so i feel you on that heat. i got the cast setting up now. i am gonna get fancy with mine and put some etched plexiglass with the ram logo in it. will def post pics.

Old 07-05-2010 | 04:47 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

The problem with a dash cover is that it leaves the original deteriorating dash in place which may cause an electrical fire. As the dash continues crumbling, it will sag and abrade wires underneath, and any chunks that fall out may do the same. It's far better to replace the dash completely.

There are outfits you can find online that sell replacement dashes made of ABS and guaranteed for life.

Old 07-05-2010 | 11:21 PM
beefythedodge
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The problem with a dash cover is that it leaves the original deteriorating dash in place which may cause an electrical fire.
wow... i am sure if this was a problem we would all have new dashes for free from dodge after someone sued dodge for burning their truck down. obviously replacing the dash is the optimal way to go, but most people probably do not have the budget, time, ar ability to change out the whole dash. its much easier to pull out the big broken pieces put a fiberglass cover on it and call it a day.

see these trucks every day with 2,3,even 4-5 hundred thousand miles on them. and never once have i heard of an electrical fire caused by a deteriorating dash. plus 97% of the wiring in the dash is under the steering column by the fuse panel area. the only thing under the upper dash panel is the ac ducting. i build custom panels like this literally every day. it is not a fire hazard.

Old 07-05-2010 | 11:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by beefythedodge
wow... i am sure if this was a problem we would all have new dashes for free from dodge after someone sued dodge for burning their truck down.
Don't tell me, let me guess: You didn't bother to STFW before spouting off. Am I right?

Old 07-06-2010 | 12:30 AM
hawayyan

I've looked everywhere, is there any site I can go to that gives me step by step instruction on how to replace just my dash cover? I've googled, nothing, I've searched this website, nothing. I just want to replace my dash pad. Thanks

Quick Reply: cracked up dash?