2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WARNING to those with E Fans!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
I tried to soilder all my connections.
At a place where I worked several years ago we had a running discussion/argument about soldered ("western union") versus crimped butt splice reliability on stranded wire joints. I was on the side of the soldered joint. Finally we put finis to it by putting the assembly in question to the test on the shake table. It turned out that properly applied and restrained butt splices were hands-down much more reliable.

Soldered "western union" joints with correctly sized heat shrink tubing held up better than taped or exposed joints, but still failed at a higher rate than crimped butt splices. The ugly aspect of the shrink tube covered joints is that when they fail you can't see the failure, and they tend to fail as intermittents and/or high resistance connections. When a (properly) crimped-on butt splice fails the failure is visible: there's a broken wire lying near the open end of the splice. Soldered western union joints also tend to fail at the junction where the flexible stranded wire meets the rigid tinning.

BTW: This was at a mil-spec electronics manufacturer, not an auto shop. We used good scientific method, MIL approved methods, calibrated crimpers, and so on, and had an equal mix of joints created by the usual assembly line folks and engineering staff (me, mostly), with all tested units inspected and passed by the best and pickiest visual inspectors in the place.

After that lab testing I spent about a decade as a field engineer (for the killer money) and my experience bore out what we'd seen in the engineering lab. Those damned western union joints failed more often and were often very hard to find.

Before we did that testing I was one to solder every splice. In the 20+ years since, I reserve western union joints for solid wire or suspended aerial runs only (both cases in which they're more reliable than any alternative short of replacing the entire run with a single unbroken conductor), and always use crimped connectors on (unsuspended) stranded wire.

All that said, I know that this is one of those issues that can cause heated arguments and I'm hoping I haven't started one. It's your truck so do what you like and live like you want to live. It all looks good from my house!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
At a place where I worked several years ago we had a running discussion/argument about soldered ("western union") versus crimped butt splice reliability on stranded wire joints. I was on the side of the soldered joint. Finally we put finis to it by putting the assembly in question to the test on the shake table. It turned out that properly applied and restrained butt splices were hands-down much more reliable.

Soldered "western union" joints with correctly sized heat shrink tubing held up better than taped or exposed joints, but still failed at a higher rate than crimped butt splices. The ugly aspect of the shrink tube covered joints is that when they fail you can't see the failure, and they tend to fail as intermittents and/or high resistance connections. When a (properly) crimped-on butt splice fails the failure is visible: there's a broken wire lying near the open end of the splice. Soldered western union joints also tend to fail at the junction where the flexible stranded wire meets the rigid tinning.

BTW: This was at a mil-spec electronics manufacturer, not an auto shop. We used good scientific method, MIL approved methods, calibrated crimpers, and so on, and had an equal mix of joints created by the usual assembly line folks and engineering staff (me, mostly), with all tested units inspected and passed by the best and pickiest visual inspectors in the place.

After that lab testing I spent about a decade as a field engineer (for the killer money) and my experience bore out what we'd seen in the engineering lab. Those damned western union joints failed more often and were often very hard to find.

Before we did that testing I was one to solder every splice. In the 20+ years since, I reserve western union joints for solid wire or suspended aerial runs only (both cases in which they're more reliable than any alternative short of replacing the entire run with a single unbroken conductor), and always use crimped connectors on (unsuspended) stranded wire.

All that said, I know that this is one of those issues that can cause heated arguments and I'm hoping I haven't started one. It's your truck so do what you like and live like you want to live. It all looks good from my house!

Interesting results. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that is pretty interesting. Hell as long as **** works I'm happy lol

Old 07-30-2010, 12:30 AM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know its a while sense this was posted but Im searching stuff. Iv got a e-fan in but I didnt put in the a/c wire didnt think I needed it and didnt know were the heck to hook it to. Think u could save me a buck and show/tell me were u put yours. So I dont get the same problem u got that would be sweet.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Does yours have a a/c wire?

Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 AM
ThirstyRam86
Rookie

Here's a Newbie question for ya... What is an E-fan, what does it do, and what are the benefits?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Electric fan. Replaces your engine fan. By taking the fan off the front of the engine, the engine can spin easier (less resistance from the fan), thus freeing up some HP. But you still need to cool the radiator, so you install an electric fan to do the job. Does the same job as the fan you currently have, but it doesn't task the engine down to do it.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:30 AM
ThirstyRam86
Rookie

Nice thanks for the info

Old 07-30-2010, 09:32 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

yea I dont know how long I stared at my truck to figure out were it goes i was getting so pissed I quit lol.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Flue
Veteran

Dodgeramit 10,

Probably the easiest thing to do is butt splice a signal wire from the A/C relay in the Power Center to another relay to power your fan.

If your using the Taurus fan with 3 wires this is a two speed fan. You need to make sure to only use one speed (high) or use a 3rd relay to disconnect your low speed (temp sensor) when the high speed (A/C) kicks on. If both speeds are active you'll burn your fan out pretty quickly. If you don't want waste your time switching from low to high, just connect everything to high, then you won't have to worry about it.

Flue.

Quick Reply: WARNING to those with E Fans!!