2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WARNING to those with E Fans!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WARNING to those with E Fans!!

Just got back from the garage to have my ac recharged. Turns out that my e fans were causing part of the problem. Guy told me as long as the fans are on I'm fine, if their off the pressure in the ac system goes EXTREMELY high. Just wanted you other guys to know this so you don't explode your system. Mine is hooked to a temp sensor so they only come on when needed. I need to find a way to wire them to a switch or jump them off the ac to come on and stay on while it's on.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

A fair number of fan controllers have an A/C input terminal, so it knows when the A/C is on, and turns on the fans. Regardless of engine temp.

Check and see if yours has one, if not... gonna have to think of something else. (Really? Gee. Thanks captain obvious. )

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow good to know bluebeast! I don't have e-fans, but this could be a trucksaver to the ones that do

Old 07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

Yeah Guy said he don't understand how the stock fan moves enough air after seeing this happen. Now I'm glad I took it to him and didn't do it myself. He also flushed the system and said there was a bunch of metal in there.

I never even thought there would be a problem. I figure most people wouldn't so I better give a heads up.

He said when the ac is on it's COLD lol. Good to know driving to Florida next week

Old 07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
Yeah Guy said he don't understand how the stock fan moves enough air after seeing this happen. Now I'm glad I took it to him and didn't do it myself. He also flushed the system and said there was a bunch of metal in there.

I never even thought there would be a problem. I figure most people wouldn't so I better give a heads up.

He said when the ac is on it's COLD lol. Good to know driving to Florida next week
Well...much as I hate to disagree with your mechanic, I would be very concerned about the information he gave you concerning the amount of metal he discovered.
While I'm no A/C expert, I do know that your system has a couple tiny passages that are easily plugged by debris, which can result in high readings. I had an old Dodge Van that did this, and evetually had to replace some components...and then the compressor failed (thats where the metal came from). Oh yeah, the Diplomat..same deal. But I degress.

And yes, many systems do switch the electric fan on when the A/C runs, very useful at idle when the vehicle in not moving. Since your Ram never had this system from the factory, you'd have to wire something through your compressor switch, which unless you are idling for long peroids wouldn't be needed. Run a rocker switch to power the fan if you're worried. A temp controlled switch that runs the fan at just above thermostat opening is just as effective.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
army_greywolf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, metal is bad, severely discolored or milky oil is also bad. Although my blazer survived three years with the original a/c after first fining out it was recharged without oil when I bought it, and then finding metal bits when checking it a year after recharging it myself.

That would be the same dealer who lied about it's mileage. It spent 5 years as a taxi in ATLANTA. Showed 75K had an actual 225K. It's still beat on like a red headed step child, and it still runs/drive/does everything you want it to. We use it for hunting...that's about it.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

The ac system has a screen in the line to stop all that crap from going the whole system. It's a brand new compressor installed today. My fans are hooked to a temp sensor that trips before the t-stat. They only run for a minute or 2 then shut off.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im not buyin this stuff either........ also, think of your a/c screen more like a oil filter not a fuel filter.....fuel filter filters gas coming INTO the system, an oil filter catches what was ALREADY IN the system....so with that screen, you dont know if that metal came right before the screen or right after and made its way thru and back around.....

Old 07-09-2010, 07:06 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

I was just trying to look out for fellow members. Y'all want to disagree that's fine. I'll just keep **** to myself next time. No big deal to me, saves me time and effort posting.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:13 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well now, theres no reason to get all raunchy....we are just giving you our opinions and discussing this......

Quick Reply: WARNING to those with E Fans!!