2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Sport Ram issues!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Critchfield725
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Sport Ram issues!

So, I'm new to the forum... and I have multiple issues i'm trying to bang out on my truck that have sort of fell on top of each other after a period of time, so i figured i'd get a little help, if anyone was willing.

i have a regular cab short bed, 4x4 1/2 ton ram sport, with the 5.9L.
I love her to death, as she's the first truck I paid for by myself, and I've had her for about 10 months, I'd like to fix her up, but i'm not sure. :/

Anyways, as for the issues.

1. always has low oil pressure, also burns a little oil. Before anyone says anything, I ahve changed the plenum, and my mechanic claims he changed the PCV valve?
-I changed the spark plugs about a month ago now, found where the oil is being burned, the back cylinder on the passenger side (not sure how the cylinders are #'ed)
-plug wires aren't stock to my knowledge

2. about a month ago she's started to burn a little water, not much, but i stay on top of it.

3. My truck is sluggish, compared to in the past, feels pretty gutless. RPM's vary a little bit when idling' and shakes a little when sittin' there idling. Also, from 45-60mph the truck shakes, but really just at this speed, above and below it doesn't. but when you accelerate through that speed it doesn't really shake, and also doesn't when you take the O/D off. (Tranny?? I don't have a clue)

-It's done this in the past and I took it to a shop and they changed the rear shocks and it fixed it for about 6 months.
-Changed the rear u-joints, haven't had time to change the fronts because of Harvest down here in kansas.

4. Lastly, my headlights... when I hit real rough bumps or go down ragged country roads, they flicker at times and shut off. when you pull off and shut off the lights and pull them back on they work fine. But!! You can't hardly run the brights for anytime at all and they do the same thing.. Flicker and turn off, except my fog lights stay on. But like before, if you pull over, turn the lights off and turn off the brights and keep them on the low beams they work. Checked the fuses, and that's not the issue to the extent of my knowledge.

So,I guess that's it... (Though that's it might be an exaggeration, I'm a little overwhelmed.) Any ideas on what might be the problems on any of these, any help would be kindly appreciated. As i'm somewhat new to trying to fix vehicles as much as I can myself.

also, I mean I'm a college kid, I won't lie I've been through a couple mud bogs, but I haven't been overly hard on the truck. I'd just really like some input. There's not really a Mr. Mopar/Dodge around where I live that can lend me a hand.
Thanks!

Last edited by Critchfield725; 07-09-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

How was the plenum repaired? Just the gasket replaced, and reuse all the stock parts?

Oil pressure sensors Lie. How many miles on the truck? Oil level up to snuff? What oil are you running? Also might want to define "Low".

Aftermarket PCV valve? They aren't really know for their consistency in flow rates.

Any evidence of coolant leakage? Or, just the level in the overflow tank going down, and no idea where it is going?

Still have your cat?? (on the truck, not the four legged one.) Have you checked fuel pressure?

Try swapping some relays around for the lights. They might possibly be getting weak. Also check grounds. (there is a service manual for 2001 available in the FAQ section, it will be close enough..... get you in the right neighborhood anyway.)

Welcome to DF.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Critchfield725

I think that i just ordered a new gasket and he replaced that.

My truck just rolled over 137k miles, I keep on top of the oil pretty well. She's full for the most part, just have to add a lil bit everynow and then, but I'm due for a new filter ( would draining the oil and actually changing it help since its just being burned off?)
and the definition of low would be just a hair above the first notch line, is that 20? It just seems low because I have two buddies who both have 2nd gen rams same engine as mine and there's consistently run about 60, so I wasn't quite sure.

and as for the PCV valve, I'd have to look at that, if it's not should I go back to a stock one?

the coolant is evident in the resevoir dropping slowly, but the smoke varies from the exhaust from blue to a lil white sometime, (I assume Blue is oil; at least that's what i've been told)

Yessirr, Still have the cat on, single exhaust with a flowmaster muffler, and as for fuel pressure, no. I know it might sound a lil dumb, but how do you do that?

and I'll do that with the relays and grounds this afternoon.

thanks!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to df.

these trucks have a couple of common, and fairly expensive problems. if you simply replaced the gasket and kept the steel belly pan, it may or may not remain fixed. more on that later.

headlights shutting off at night can be a serious safety issue, so work on that first. it sounds like a loose connection on either the positive or negative side. like hey said, remove and clean all grounds. i may be wrong, but i don't think we have headlight relays (which is part of the problem) also consider replacing your headlight switch. they are a common failure. maybe get one from junkyard if money is tight.

do a compression check on your engine. see if that back one has a major malfunction or not. that plug fouling out is an indication of something wrong.

coolant loss could be anything - major problem, or simple hose leak. just monitor it.

and do you have a check engine light on or know of any codes you've had ?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Critchfield725

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
welcome to df.

these trucks have a couple of common, and fairly expensive problems. if you simply replaced the gasket and kept the steel belly pan, it may or may not remain fixed. more on that later.

headlights shutting off at night can be a serious safety issue, so work on that first. it sounds like a loose connection on either the positive or negative side. like hey said, remove and clean all grounds. i may be wrong, but i don't think we have headlight relays (which is part of the problem) also consider replacing your headlight switch. they are a common failure. maybe get one from junkyard if money is tight.

do a compression check on your engine. see if that back one has a major malfunction or not. that plug fouling out is an indication of something wrong.

coolant loss could be anything - major problem, or simple hose leak. just monitor it.

and do you have a check engine light on or know of any codes you've had ?
Yes, I have a check engine light on, I'm going to town today to hook it up to a scanner to get the specific codes. I'll let ya'll know what pops up.

and a compression check, is that something I can do myself?

as for the plenum, I might just buy a kit and end up doing it myself and making sure that it gets done. My mechanic is cheap, but a little forgetful.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes. see if you can rent/borrow a compression tester from the parts store.

one of many how-to's
http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...l.jsp?id=16170

Quick Reply: 1998 Sport Ram issues!