2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 PM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truegent81
i dont see the marks on the gears but it looks good to me.

a breaker bar wont work. i need a open end wrench to remove the but bc the ****ing fan is in the way and there isnt much room. atc what did you use to remove the nut? open end wrench? what size? 1 1/4? or 36mm?
I took off the belt and held the pulley with a set of chain grips. (vise grips with a chain attached which are intended for round pipe). You can buy them at most tool stores. I can post a pic if you ask.

I just used a crescent wrench to turn the fan nut off after holding it with the above mentioned chain grips. It is standard thread.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:06 PM
atc250r
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
The camshaft and crankshaft being incorrectly aligned can cause immediate and utter engine failure, yes. A very tiny amount of movement most likely would not. Move the cam 10, 20, 30, degrees out of alignment and you could be purchasing a new engine.

Best way to check is to turn the motor over by hand with no spark plugs in and see if the crankshaft makes it 2 complete rotations. If it does, you are probably safe. Do this by reinserting the crank bolt and turn it around 2 full turns with the socket.

If it stops or catches anywhere along the way, the piston and valve has collided somewhere and you will have to re-degree the camshaft in relation to the crankshaft.
I never turned over the engine nor the cam without the chain and sprockets, so I'm thinking I'm ok. I put the original set back on exactly how it came off and rotated the crank till both index marks were @ 12 o'clock. I then removed the old set of gears and put the new ones one.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as long as you removed the old sprockets and then reinstalled the new, without rotating either the crank or cam - you're fine, don't worry about it.

as squirrel suggested, with chain installed, rotate the crank around by hand 2+ revolutions and make sure nothing hits. this will put your mind at ease. and don't fret over the need for a tensioner. our engine's don't have one. when it wears out it wears out and a tensioner won't prevent that.

that squirrel's has sharp eyes on the oil pan rtv. you'll need to cut/clean that off and put on a fresh coat where your timing cover meets it.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 07-09-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 PM
atc250r
Veteran

Thanks to all who helped! I started up it this morning and it purrs like a kitten. So far no leaks.

For those planning on tackling this job, imo here is the easy way to understand/do the timing chain.

After taking the timing cover off, remove the cam sprocket bolt. Now replace the 1-1/4" bolt into the crank nose and turn it in clockwise with a ratchet until the engine begins to turn with. Continue to turn it until the indicator dots on each sprocket point straight up. Use an impact to remove the bolt now so that the crank does not turn backwards with the bolt. Remove the bolt completely then pull both sprockets and chain off together. Without turning anything, the new sprocket and chain combo just slide right on.

Does that sound right to all the experienced guru's?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats on a job well done.

i was taught to line it up with crank dot up and cam dot down. either will work.

i would not remove the cam bolt until i was ready to slide it off, just to prevent it from possible falling off prematurely and while i might not be looking.

Quick Reply: Timing chain help!!!