2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Axle shaft won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
witchy woman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle shaft won't come out

I have a replacement front axle for my son's 99 1500 4X4. I've done U-joint replacements, ball joints, etc. on his old axle, and am doing the same on this one before installing it on his truck (long but interesting story on how the original got damaged but no time for it here). Problem: driver's side axle shaft will not come out of the tube. Axle nut is off, hub is out, even taken both ball joint nuts off hoping I could remove the knuckle to get at the axle shaft, but not enough clearance. Something is wrong. This axle should slide right out of the tube but it feels like it is stuck at the side gear in the diff. I've got diff. cover off, but no apparent damage and I don't see anything that could be holding it in place.

Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Can you use something to tap on the end of the axle (at the diff carrier) and try to drive it out?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 AM
witchy woman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, there's only a small space between the end of the axle and the pinion shaft that runs through the middle of the carrier. Not enough room to get in there and the carrier assembly won't come out until the shaft is removed.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Pry bar? (GENTLY! )

Might have to pull the pin, to try and get some room to work in there. You are correct though, with everything out of the way, it should pull right out..... Did you take the knuckle completely off?

Quick Reply: Axle shaft won't come out