2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire damaged - maybe new tire time

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you could buy two more of what you already have to save money. Put the new ones together on either front or back and the two your best old ones together. Then you'd have a spare.

This works good if you're like me and are horrible about rotating on time and inevitebly end up with two tires which in much better condition than the others.

I like to put the new ones on the back myself since that is where I'd least like to see a blowout (I think) with the camper loaded up.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I checked my paperwork, and I didn't buy road hazard. I remember passing on it because these ran me over $1200 as it was. Anyway, I took the tire to two different places. Both said that it is not repairable and they wouldn't even touch it. They said the damage is too long under the surface. The rod is almost 7 inches long, with about 5 inches of that in the tire. Here's the pics. As you can see, it passes under two full lugs and partially under a third lug.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll tell you what though, it's a testimony to Toyo tires! The fact that it's still holding air and can get you from point A to point B!

Always said if I didn't put a Mickey Thompson or Dick Cepek on my truck the only other brands I'd consider would be a Toyo or Nitto...

Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Maybe you could buy two more of what you already have to save money. Put the new ones together on either front or back and the two your best old ones together. Then you'd have a spare.

This works good if you're like me and are horrible about rotating on time and inevitebly end up with two tires which in much better condition than the others.

I like to put the new ones on the back myself since that is where I'd least like to see a blowout (I think) with the camper loaded up.
Ya, that's not a bad idea, but it would put me with two new tires and two 1/2 used tires from now on till I break down and get 4 new ones sometime anyway. I say 1/2 used because these have right about 20k on them. Probably could go another 20k at the most I estimate. They are also about 3 years old on the truck right now.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'll tell you what though, it's a testimony to Toyo tires! The fact that it's still holding air and can get you from point A to point B!

Always said if I didn't put a Mickey Thompson or Dick Cepek on my truck the only other brands I'd consider would be a Toyo or Nitto...
Ya absolutly. I would recommend these to anyone. They are one tough tire, and awesome in just about every condition. The only downsides I ever had with them were the price, and the weight. Each tire weighs in at almost 90lbs, heavier then most other mud tires in the same size.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

There's always Craigslist too. I'm always amazed at some of the stuff I've found on there after filtering through the scams.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:12 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could always cut it off and just leave the rod in there and dump that slim in there and run it.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Could always cut it off and just leave the rod in there and dump that slim in there and run it.
I yearn to be young and immortal again.... j/k

Put this post in a time capsule and read it in 10-20 years when you got a wife and kids if you don't get the joke now. Seriously man, I wish I could have my young guy attitude back.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

There's always Craigslist too. I'm always amazed at some of the stuff I've found on there after filtering through the scams.
Ya, I found a set of 4 Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrains for $400. Problem is, you don't know if they are any better then what I have now. If I pull that rod and the tire still holds air, you wouldn't even be able to tell visually that there is a problem. I could sell them on craigslist. I would never do that though, but you don't know about other people out there. Not sure I would trust craigslist tires for this reason unless then where new take-offs.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I yearn to be young and immortal again.... j/k

Put this post in a time capsule and read it in 10-20 years when you got a wife and kids if you don't get the joke now. Seriously man, I wish I could have my young guy attitude back.
Ya, no kidding. I didn't even want to drive it to get over to the tire store, so I took it off the truck and through it in the back of the Swift. I won't be leaving the tire on, that's for sure.

Quick Reply: Tire damaged - maybe new tire time