2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire damaged - maybe new tire time

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

well, you could pull the tire, run a good size patch on the inside and then tube it... They do still sell tubes, don't they? Used to do that in the day, always heard that as long as the damage to the tire was not in the sidewall a tube was a good fix...

Old 07-14-2010, 04:24 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

See I'm not the only one and he's older than me!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really ok with getting new tires.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
well, you could pull the tire, run a good size patch on the inside and then tube it... They do still sell tubes, don't they? Used to do that in the day, always heard that as long as the damage to the tire was not in the sidewall a tube was a good fix...
That's good to know and I hadn't heard it before. At least it's something worth remembering which might come in handy to get out of a jam some day.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Well in that case then I guess the only question is how much you lookin' to spend and how good a tire you wantin' to get?

Another set of Toyos are good as are Nitto Trail Grapps. Mickey MTZs are awesome and I love my Cepek FCIIs, but all of those are pricey except maybe the Nittos...

Originally Posted by Ugly1
That's good to know and I hadn't heard it before. At least it's something worth remembering which might come in handy to get out of a jam some day.
Yeah as long as the damage isn't such that there is a danger of the actual tire carcass splitting, tubes are (or at least were) a viable solution. I had an old Jeep J10 pickup that had a slight bend in one of the front rims and the bead never would seal well and you'd have to put air in it daily. My old man took it to my uncles garage (auto shop) and they tubed it. Ran that thing for years with the tube in it...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-14-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
See I'm not the only one and he's older than me!
Oh I definitely weren't trying to say you are wrong just that you are brave if you don't know for sure if it is dangerous. lol! BTW not trying to imply you don't know about damaged tires either just that I don't.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

...Mickey MTZs are awesome and I love my Cepek FCIIs, but all of those are pricey except maybe the Nittos...
So where do you usually find decent prices on Mickey or Cepeks? They just seemed way overpriced wherever I can find them.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I am lucky enough to have an IN for tires. Good buddy of mine owns two tire shops up in the town closest to my farmland in south Ga. When he bought out the second shop, I networked the two together.
Been getting my tires and wheels (and air bags too) by bartering off computer upgrades/labor ever since. Worst case is if he needs no computer work, I pay his cost.

But I'll be honest with you Silver, Mickey/Cepeks may cost more, but they are SOLID tires and LAST! No doubt in my mind they'll end up costing you less over the life of the tire than anything else out there, IF you keep 'em or the truck long enough!

Put almost 70k on my old 2nd Gens MTXs and they still had tread, my Cepeks have 30k and might be down 10%. Personally I like the Cepeks better than anything I've had. Center tread is highly siped like an A/T and the shoulder blocks are big and beefy like an M/T. Best of both worlds. Only down side is they are a little loud, not Nitto Mud Grappler loud, but louder than any A/T tire...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

What do you all know about General Grabber AT2's. Basically looks like a BFG AT. They have been getting great reviews in all the magazines lately. They have the snowflake like the BFG, but priced better.

I'll look into the cepeks a little closer.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad idea. It's not smart to run a tube on a tire that wasn't designed for one. Not to mention that most tire centers wont touch tires with tubes/beadlocks/etc.

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
What do you all know about General Grabber AT2's. Basically looks like a BFG AT. They have been getting great reviews in all the magazines lately. They have the snowflake like the BFG, but priced better.

I'll look into the cepeks a little closer.
The Generals are good tires. We've sent a few trucks out of the shop with them and have heard no complaints. I've only driven on them once, but I really liked them. More so then BFG actually. The tread compound is fairly soft though, so if you get them onto a sharpish rock or something you'll tear them up.

I avoid Cepeks like the plague. They wear like a cheap suit and howl like a wolf on the highway.

Last edited by TheBigRedOne; 07-14-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire damaged - maybe new tire time