2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horsepower Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 PM
racindirt35
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower Help

I have the 5.9 L Magnum 360 I am going to use for my engine for racing a Super Truck, I am just needing some information on it on how to boost the horses on it. I need to get rid of the fuel injection bs on it and carb it, was wondering if there was any kits I could put on it.

ENGINE
1. Only standard production engines allowed. Chevrolet 350 cubic inch maximum, Ford
351 cubic inch, Chrysler 360 cubic inch plus overbore.
2. No polishing or coating inside of block.
3. Overbore of .045 permitted.
4. Aftermarket solid steel connecting rods permitted. No polishing or machine work will be
permitted. Rods may not be lighter than stock rods.
5. Flat top 3 ring pistons permitted. Piston must not extend above top of block.
6.Crankshaft with stock stroke must be retained. Crankshaft minimum weigh 50# pounds.
Machining for balancing only. Crankshaft must not be Knife-edged.
7. Wet sump oil system only. No external oil pumps allowed.
8. Enlarged oil pan allowed.
9. Aftermarket valve covers allowed.
10. Aftermarket pulleys allowed.

HEADS
1. Speedway approved cast iron steel heads required. Chevrolet bowtie, Ford SVO, Mopar
2. NO modifications, no porting or polishing. No grinding of any kind. 3 angle valve job ok
as per Speedway rule. One cut below valve seat, to bottom of valve guide. Do not radius
or blend bottom of cut below valve seat.
3. Chevrolet 62cc minimum; Ford (clev) 62cc minimum; Ford (win) 58cc Chrysler 62cc
minimum.
4. OEM valve size for cylinder head required. Steel valves required.

CAM SHAFT
1. Hydraulic or flat tappet cam and OEM diameter lifters. No roller cams allowed.
2. Any steel type timing chain allowed.
3. Any type valve springs and retainers allowed. Stud girdles are permitted.
4. Screw in studs and guide plates permitted with any ratio roller rocker arms allowed.

INTAKE and SPACER
1. GM performer 2101, Ford performer 2750, 2176, M9424-C358 Cleveland performer
#2665 and Chrysler casting P#4532852, P5249572AB. No Magnesium intakes.
2. No porting, polishing, or grinding will be permitted. Do not touch it.
3. Only a one-piece solid aluminum spacer, ¾” thickness may be installed between intake
manifold and carburetor.
4. Holley 4bbl carbs allowed a solid aluminum spacer, 1” thickness four hole or open.
5. Holley #7448 spacer must have 2 holes with 1 ½” openings.
6. Holes must be centered and cut perpendicular with the base of the carburetor. No tapers
or bevels.
7. Only 2 gaskets, 1 per side, maximum thickness .065 will be permitted.
8. No adjustable spacer will be permitted. No other modifications will be permitted.
8. All spacer plates must meet speedway specifications.

CARBURETOR
The following carburetors will be eligible for competition.
1. Holley 2300 2bbl carb. model #7448 “350” with a venturi size of 1 3/16”.
2. Holley 2300 2bbl carb. model #4412 mounted on a 7448 throttle plate w/ ring. “450”
3. Holley HP80507-1 390 cfm four barrel model HP designed for crate engines
See below for rework guidelines:
1. No polishing, grinding or drilling holes will be permitted in the body of the carburetor.
2. Boosters may not be altered in any manner including size, shape or height.
3. Venturi area must not be altered in any manner. Casting ring must not be removed.
4. Base plate must not be altered in shape or size.
5. Stock butterflies must not be thinned or tapered. Idle holes may be drilled in butterflies.
Screw ends may be cut even with shafts, but screw heads must remain standard.
6. Throttle shafts must remain standard and must not be cut or thinned in any manner.
7. Any attempt to pull outside air other than through the venturi is not permitted.
8. All carburetors must meet speedway specifications

That is what my rules are for the track. I was wondering what i could do as far as if any racers see a grey area. This is my first time building my race truck. The last 2 classes I was in I bought cars that were race ready and I got no where and from what I am told it is better to build one from scratch yourself.

Let me know if anybody can help out.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

injection is fine bro, you just need to stroke that sh*t 408 baby!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
racindirt35
Rookie

Stroke how would I go about doing that?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

KRC performance and hughesengines do stoker kits , its bored .30 over and built

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

Sounds like crate motor rules.....or Thunder Stocks. Check about the 5.9 if it is a Magnum then it will be a hyd roller cam from the factory. You may want to run that by the track tech guy. If it is a non roller 5.9, then try contacting a cam manufacturer with the rules. They are a great help when building restricted motors.

Bore it out, get the best flowing manifold combo from someone who spec in restricted motor intakes. Hughes? don't know if they are into it.
I guess you could run a 408 stroker until you get caught, or someone figures out that you put a intake manifold on a fuel injected motor. Anyone else know if the manifold and kegger intakes will interchange?.
Stroker means you take the standard crankshaft and machine it for a longer crankpin throw lenght or replace it with a custom stroke crankshaft manufactered longer crankpin throw.

sprntpshr

Last edited by sprntpshr; 07-12-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: info edit
Old 07-18-2010, 09:17 AM
racindirt35
Rookie

Where can I get a good manifold and what am I looking for when I purchase one?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

hughes edelbrock airgap fi o www.hughesengines.com

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 AM
racindirt35
Rookie

Will that pass tech lol I dont wanna blow them outta the water!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

It plainly states STOCK stroke.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You must use the stock crank, doobers. Read the rules before suggesting stuff to the guy. I don't think the air gap is legal either.

A set of EngineQuest heads flow better than stock, look like stock, are cast iron, and come in stock valve sizes, otherwise see below.

You can't use a magnum block on this one, if you can't use a roller cam. That limits you to a 360 LA engine, which is already carbed. you can however use magnum heads on a LA engine and they flow way better. Also, there are R/T heads that are officially Mopar and flow better than stock, but they are pretty hard to come by any more. If you find some, make sure they didn't have any illegal work done to them. Definitely take advantage of the 3 angle valve job. And see if stainless steel will count as steel valves and buy racing valves that flow more.

You may be able to run 1.7 roller rocker arms on a magnum head which is a gain in total lift, but that all depends on the cam you choose. Any roller rocker arms made of aluminum are lighter than those of steel and will reduce the overall weight of the valve train, as well as reduce friction. Beehive valve springs are a bit better as well, but you may need to clearance for them.

You'll have to look up those Mopar intake numbers as well to see what you're working with.

Didn't say anything about exhaust so you better run longtubes and a true dual setup.

The magnum 360 engine does not come with flat top pistons, they are dished. Not sure about the LA blocks, you'll have to check.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 07-18-2010 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Horsepower Help