2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

About to lose my mind...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
Point taken. Sorry about that. It ran, but would shut down for no apparent reason. So, where do I go from here? I still have the old fly wheel. Now that you mention it, the drivetrain has been vibrating since then. I was told it was the super trans and I needed to quit whining. Can I get this flywheel balanced? Must I buy a new 1/2 ton clutch?
You can get the current one rebalanced.... however, I would call around, see if there is anyone in your area that can actually do it.... and how much it costs. Real possibility it will actually be cheaper just to buy a new flywheel. You don't have to replace the clutch... but, while you are in there.......

Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok: current plan. I still have my old flywheel and pressure plate, and I'll get them resurfaced. Hopefully, my new friction disk will fit. Then go to the stealership, and buy a crank sensor. Should I replace my bad idle control valve there too, or can I go NAPA? How's that?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Using a dealership part, as opposed to the napa "equivalent"..... ensures that you won't be replacing it again in two weeks.......

Old 07-21-2010, 02:01 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
Ok: current plan. I still have my old flywheel and pressure plate, and I'll get them resurfaced. Hopefully, my new friction disk will fit. Then go to the stealership, and buy a crank sensor. Should I replace my bad idle control valve there too, or can I go NAPA? How's that?
I went through THREE IAC motors when, I could have paid a little more ONCE and have been done with it. GO OEM on sensors.

CM

Old 08-21-2010, 05:55 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, y'all! Finally got it!

I pulled the engine to remove the 360 flywheel and install the freshly machined 318 flywheel. While I had the engine out, I installed Advance's sensor. It was making physical contact on both planes of the "corner" it should be setting in (the shoulder behind the friction surface, and above the notched sensor ring). I installed my new sensor, and it fit perfectly, standing off both surfaces by about a quarter inch. What a difference!! I also purchased a new cam sensor. I reused my new 3/4 ton friction disc and pressure plate, with no ill effects yet. I took my heads to be checked and cleaned, but they said one head had two cracks in it. I happened to have a spare pair around fron my parts truck (what a blessing THAT thing's been!!) and one of those two was fine. So, out of four heads I got two decent ones back. Reassembled, and runs like a champ. Passed inspection with flying colors. Thanks, everyone. Now, check my new post for my 4X4 blues!!

Quick Reply: About to lose my mind...