2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:29 PM
yamyboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry random misfire

I have a 99 1500 quadcab 4X4 318cid or 5.2L> I ran it in a large puddel and stalled out 10 min latter it started but ran rough. 4 hrs latter I came out to start it again and it was fine till the next morning it had no spark so i changed the plugs cap router and wires. It ran but with a missfire the thing is it moved around first # 2 & 4 then # 1 then # 1 & 3 now #6 & 7.I also want to change the O2 senser and the parts store said I have 3 one left one right and one after cat when I looked under truck the cat is the Y pipe for the left and right with one O2 in the frount and one about a foot behind. Should there be three ? cause theres not.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 PM
yamyboy

cant any one helpme please ?

Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Random misfire is possibly a vacuum leak, or low fuel pressure/inadequate fuel volume. If you have changed all the tune up parts.... what plugs did you use? Are the wires secured nicely? Are you aware of the Technical service bulletin on plug wire routing? (available in the FAQ section here.) What kind of wires did you get? Is your cap brass, or aluminum terminals? What kind of gas do you run? What is your shoe size? Buttons or snaps? Tie or velcro? Ok. I'll stop now.......

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yamyboy
I have a 99 1500 quadcab 4X4 318cid or 5.2L> I ran it in a large puddel and stalled out 10 min latter it started but ran rough. 4 hrs latter I came out to start it again and it was fine till the next morning it had no spark so i changed the plugs cap router and wires. It ran but with a missfire the thing is it moved around first # 2 & 4 then # 1 then # 1 & 3 now #6 & 7.I also want to change the O2 senser and the parts store said I have 3 one left one right and one after cat when I looked under truck the cat is the Y pipe for the left and right with one O2 in the frount and one about a foot behind. Should there be three ? cause theres not.
I'm here to help you. Ok, so, it goes something like this:

It was fine UNTIL- running through a puddle.

It stalled out 10 min later- started and ran rough.

Four hours later and it was fine (are YOU 100% SURE IT WAS FINE) until- the next morning (This may be due to trapped water migrating into a component and/or CKT thus shorting something out)

NOTE: reason I ask is that, recently, I've been involved with two incidents where the vehicle was NOT running fine, despite having been written as such. If wasn't until after a few more posts down the line that I found otherwise. So, to make my job easier, if you wrote that it ran FINE, I'm going to assume that there were NO ISSUES- is this correct?

No spark was noted as the first failure mode so, let's test the coil:

1. Please check your coil for a short across the primary and secondary by running an OEM OHM test per Haynes Manual. I have also posted in detail, how to test this on this site.

I would like to factor out the coil as suspect / root cause for failure first.

We will start with the 101s first.

Probable root cause: it's most likely going to be an electrical short due to water from the puddle.

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 07-19-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im assuming there was residual water left in the distributor when you changed the cap and rotor?if so your pick up coil could of become damaged...just another thing to look into..would also cause the issues your describing

Old 07-20-2010, 02:38 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look down your throttle body maybe you sucked up a good bit of water , can check for a leaking plenum while your at it too

Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 PM
yamyboy

Thanks guy for all the help I all but gave up . I found the problem the coil got wet and was weak so I replaced it and bang shes back.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Root cause: bad coil, shorted across the primary.

Corrective action: remove and replace (R&R)

End result: Problem solved

Case closed

CM

Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 AM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Originally Posted by yamyboy

When ever you go to change your plugs, make sure u have masking tape, check your plug wires to see if there in the correct firing order. Next time get tape and a sharpe to mark the cylinder numbers if there isnt any markings on ur plug wires

Quick Reply: random misfire