2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cabin Air Diverters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
mschepac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cabin Air Diverters

Hi All,
First post, have a question. I recently had a small furry critter in my '01 ram 1500. The first time I used the A/C after catching him we got covered with, lets just say 'stuff'. In addition I am not able to change where the air gets diverted to. The only place that has air blowing from is the defroster. I was able to track down the dampers and manually change, if only temporarily while I held the damper, where the air discharges. I tracked the vacuum hoses as far as I could without tearing out the dashboard and they all looked ok, and I checked all of the fuses. And checked under the hood for vacuum hose issues. Any other suggestions? I was going to try to get into the dash this weekend but it is supposed to be near 100 with high humidity, not sure if I am postponing or not.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're on the right track. There's either a nest in there or some things are chewed up. Good luck in finding it all!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
mschepac

Late followup I know, I finally got a chance to pull the dashboard cluster out and take a look. I can find no damage on the vacuum lines. Is it possible that it was a coincidence and the selector switch is bad? Has anyone had their vent divert switch go bad?
Thanks for any help.
ms

Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Entirely possible. See if you are getting vacuum TO the control head. If you are, see if you are getting any vacuum to anywhere else. If you aren't replace the control head.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mschepac
Hi All,
First post, have a question. I recently had a small furry critter in my '01 ram 1500. The first time I used the A/C after catching him we got covered with, lets just say 'stuff'. In addition I am not able to change where the air gets diverted to. The only place that has air blowing from is the defroster. I was able to track down the dampers and manually change, if only temporarily while I held the damper, where the air discharges. I tracked the vacuum hoses as far as I could without tearing out the dashboard and they all looked ok, and I checked all of the fuses. And checked under the hood for vacuum hose issues. Any other suggestions? I was going to try to get into the dash this weekend but it is supposed to be near 100 with high humidity, not sure if I am postponing or not.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

Was it a beaver?

Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
mschepac

Another update, I found where the vacuum line penetrates the firewall. I was tracing it down and pulled a little and it broke off right in my hand. The end was quite gnawed up. Back to the small critter theory. The other end is missing in the firewall hole and I cant see it from the interior without tearing the whole dashboard out.
Grrrrr
ms

Quick Reply: Cabin Air Diverters