2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can anyone help me? My truck won't start when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:11 AM
deen0o
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me? My truck won't start when hot.

Hello, I have a situation with my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck. The truck starts and runs fine, after about 30 minutes of driving, the truck dies out and i would have to wait about 40 minutes before it starts again. I've changed the crank sensor and the coil. When the engine dies, there is no fuel pressure and no sparks. Is it the ecm? I need help.....

Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me move this to the proper section for you, get you some answers. Welcome to DF!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:38 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are losing both fuel pressure and spark, then it sounds like the ASD relay is tripping off, either accidently or under pcm command. pcm would command it off if it gets no signal from crank position or cam position.

try the simple test of swapping the ASD relay with another. after that - you really need the truck hooked up to a scanner to see what the heck's wrong. you could blindly swap cam position sensor if you want to just throw parts at it. its cheaper than a pcm. do you have any check engine light or codes?

this might be worth paying a shop for a diagnosis. if it is the pcm, you can buy a refurb on the internet for about $150-300

Old 07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

If you are going to replace the cam and crank sensor's use ONLY OEM parts.
I replaced the crank sensor in my truck with one from NAPA when the wires got pinched during tranny replacement.
The truck would start fine when cold then would die for no reason after few minutes of running.
Once restarted i go anywhere i wanted and shut it off and as long as it didnt cool completely down it would restart and run fine.
Replaced it with OEM sensor problems gone.
Took several month's to figure out because never got any codes,

Dave

Old 08-01-2010, 12:16 AM
deen0o

Thanks for the advises..The engine light does come on, im just afraid it might die on me on the way to auto zone to get it scanned.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:49 AM
deen0o

I will try the ASD relay.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:52 PM
deen0o

I swapped the ASD relay, and still shutting off after 20 min of running. Is there is no part for the cam sensor? I searched for parts, and there's only crank sensor available.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Camshaft Position Sensor. Should be available at parts stores, although, it is my understanding that getting one from the parts store, is a guarantee that you will still have problems. Seems the dodge system is very picky about the price of its sensor, go cheap, and you will have problems. Get the dealership part.... and if that part was indeed the problem, it won't be any more.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its often listed as pickup coil, or secondary ignition coil. it under the dist cap.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jes91Z9n80y

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me? My truck won't start when hot.