2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some help with TPS or IAC plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:11 PM
tuski
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help with TPS or IAC plz

So I had some intermittent idling going on, and huge surges on start up. So i replaced the IAC, fixed the idle problem. Now the truck is having a hard time shifting into second gear for some reason.

Could I have damaged or maybe disrupted the TPS while i was cleaning the TB. Because i accidentally took the TPS off while i was going for the IAC but noticed i had the wrong one and put the TPS back on. Maybe i put it on backwards... if that's possible.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 03:20 PM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tps is spring loaded.as you place it on the shaft rotating the tps forward to line up the holes you should feel the spring tension.if you did not then its on wrong.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:44 PM
tuski
Professional

I just ran out and checked it. The TPS is on correctly for sure. Maybe the whole unit is bad? the idle is working fine now but fixing one problem led to creating another one...

Old 07-31-2010, 03:57 PM
stands2p
Banned

test it with a dvom/or volt meter analog can be used to probe the center wire of the tps.looking for crisp clean voltage changes.what ever the idle voltage is at idle lets say .65 volts.WOT needs to be 2.6 volts above.or just replace it 30 bucks @vatozone.edit..if replacement doesnt do it shift manually 1-2-d and note

Last edited by stands2p; 07-31-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your tps is probably fine, but the throttle valve TV cable is probably not seat correctly.
its on passenger side. the throttle cable goes towards the front, and the TV cable goes to the rear (to the trans), and it controls shifting.

check that the clip is seated in the holder.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 PM
stands2p
Banned

tv cable is probably fine.you didnt need to touch that to replace a iac/tps.or did you?could be the spring on the tranny side missing/broken.never mentioned removing tb or did you?edit..should reset the pcm with a new iac

Last edited by stands2p; 07-31-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
tuski
Professional

Originally Posted by stands2p
tv cable is probably fine.you didnt need to touch that to replace a iac/tps.or did you?could be the spring on the tranny side missing/broken.never mentioned removing tb or did you?edit..should reset the pcm with a new iac
Yeah, i removed the TB but the clip on the TV cable is good, and i tried resetting the pcm with the directions that came with the IAC. All it said was to run the vehicle at normal temperature at 40 mph... so i did that.

Also i just tried a few things, under heavy acceleration, and light acceleration, and it seems to do it randomly because i couldn't find any kind of pattern with either kind of acceleration. Plus it down shifted on me once during a light take off. It down shifted form 3rd to 2nd then a hard shift back to 3rd.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 AM
tuski
Professional

So i wanted to follow up and say that i just replaced the TPS, and it seemed to help. I don't know if its wishful thinking but from what i can tell its shifting easier. Hopefully the problem doesn't persist.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM
stands2p
Banned

glad shes shifting better.that one clean black beauty