2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hi flow cats ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
The 2 pipes that go into the cat when mounted will be stacked vertically & not horizontally (side by side) like the pics shows.
The pipe with the manifold connector attached to it will be at the top.
The 2nd pipe that isnt attached plugs into the bottom short pipe on the cat]
That's what I keep telling myself, but what I mean is that the manifold pipe that is already connected doesn't look half the length that it would need to be to make it. I mean, each pipe on my exhaust now is definitely more than a foot long like the magnaflow one is. Maybe the new cat is in a different location than stock.

Does anyone have this 23285 cat and know if there's any cutting or welding for the installation?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasnt sure if that pic is of the suggested cat or a generic pic so I searched Magnaflow.
As you mention it doesnt look right
edit: Magnaflow gave a different # for a 96 but show what appears to be the same cat (different pic) as I posted above from summit.

Pic directly below I got off Summit with the Magnaflow suggested p#.
It looks like the right cat but unfortunately at over twice the cost.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15476/?rtype=10

pic off Summit

pic off Magnaflow site (wont let me post it)
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=2901

Last edited by RM_Indy; 08-14-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Ram_Me
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Six hundred bucks for something I don't really want. I think I'll pass. Funny how its 1,500 on the MagnaFlow website.

I'll probably just buy the single converter and get it welded for extra.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:00 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
Wow. Six hundred bucks for something I don't really want. I think I'll pass. Funny how its 1,500 on the MagnaFlow website.

I'll probably just buy the single converter and get it welded for extra.
Someone at Magnaflow needs to step away from the crack pipe!
Yeah I dont know why Summit lists the other one when I did a search for a 96.
Application says its for our Magnum mtrs too?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM
jpoole
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ram_Me
That's what I keep telling myself, but what I mean is that the manifold pipe that is already connected doesn't look half the length that it would need to be to make it. I mean, each pipe on my exhaust now is definitely more than a foot long like the magnaflow one is. Maybe the new cat is in a different location than stock.

Does anyone have this 23285 cat and know if there's any cutting or welding for the installation?
Had a 23285 one put in last week, paid $206 at Summit. It is vertical mount and the pipe is a slip fit. I had mine welded at the muffler shop, but he said I could have just used a muffler clamp.

You will have to cut the exhaust down by the muffler to fit the unit to the existing exhaust system down stream.

I didn't need the Y pipe to have duals. I had them put in a single in / dual out Dynomax Turbo muffler and then just hooked into my dual tailpipe setup.

Also, there was a question on why the 2nd O2 bung is plugged from the factory. I have a 95 and it doesn't have the 2nd O2 sensor. I think the 96 up have 2 and they just use the same system for all.

Very nice fitting piece.

Not sure what the difference is between the 23285 and the 15476 is, but there is a huge price difference.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23285/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15476/

Last edited by jpoole; 08-14-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:40 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jpoole
Had a 23285 one put in last week, paid $206 at Summit. It is vertical mount and the pipe is a slip fit. I had mine welded at the muffler shop, but he said I could have just used a muffler clamp.

Not sure what the difference is between this one (23285) and the 15476 is, but there is a huge price difference.

You will have to cut the exhaust down by the muffler to fit the unit to the existing exhaust system down stream.

I didn't need the Y pipe to have duals. I had them put in a single in / dual out Dynomax Turbo muffler and then just hooked into my dual tailpipe setup.

Also, there was a question on why the 2nd O2 bung is plugged from the factory. I have a 95 and it doesn't have the 2nd O2 sensor. I think the 96 up have 2 and they just use the same system for all.

Very nice fitting piece.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23285/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15476/
Is the 15476 the one you got or the one I posted earlier?
Just wondering out of curiousity & to help others.
Your correct 96 & up have the 2nd o2 (Cali maybe different)

Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 AM
jpoole
Rookie

I had the part number 23285 installed. It was the one Ram Me was asking about. I edited my origanal post to include the part number also.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jpoole
I had the part number 23285 installed. It was the one Ram Me was asking about. I edited my origanal post to include the part number also.
Well thats good info for others!!
So the first one was the right one, must of used a generic pic like I suspected.
Still funny that Magnaflow lists the other one as well as Summit.
The price difference is just outrageous, feel sorry for anyone that get it by mistake!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:18 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional

I have been looking at the magnaflow cats for my 97 and have been wondering about how much trouble I am asking for doing my exhaust one piece at a time. What I mean is my exhaust is factory original from manifold to tip. I am wondering if I buy a direct fit cat, wait a little while get a direct fit cat back muffler system and then finally get around to some direct fit bolt up headers I should be able to do this in any order over a year or so and still never need to do any bending or welding right?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:25 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 1997DodgeRam
I have been looking at the magnaflow cats for my 97 and have been wondering about how much trouble I am asking for doing my exhaust one piece at a time. What I mean is my exhaust is factory original from manifold to tip. I am wondering if I buy a direct fit cat, wait a little while get a direct fit cat back muffler system and then finally get around to some direct fit bolt up headers I should be able to do this in any order over a year or so and still never need to do any bending or welding right?
As long as you have a cut off wheel or sawzall(hack saw last resort) & get the exhaust clamps you should be good to go
edit, the catback may be an issue depending on who makes it & how long it is if its length doesnt match up with the magnaflow direct fit cat.

Last edited by RM_Indy; 08-14-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: hi flow cats ???