2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help determine fix for transmission leak!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
0verdrive
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help determine fix for transmission leak!

I recently posted about having a serious transmission leak where the majority of my transmission fluid pours out onto the driveway, possibly due to having been overfilled.

I'm taking the transmission out to have a mechanic inspect it to see if anything is damaged internally. While I was starting to remove the transmission, I noticed the leak (shown in the attached picture) is coming from a place where the mounting plate looks like it's buckled. (I hadn't taken a close look at this area before the leak, but I'm assuming that this isn't the way it's supposed to look.)

That said, I'm guessing I'll need to somehow straighten this plate while the transmission is off, or it won't mate correctly when I remount the transmission. Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to straighten it?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails Help determine fix for transmission leak!-transmissionleakplate.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's just an inspection plate that covers the bottom of the flywheel, it doesn't actually seal anything... If you have a lot of fluid coming from that hole I would say you have bigger problems than that bent plate....

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has always looked like that (the bent part) and probably half the time I've owned the truck so has the fluid. My recent issue and possibly yours is possibly a bad pump seal. I haven't had the money to take it in so it's gonna have to wait. They should be able to tell you if it needs a new seal, if the shaft is wobblying, and if anything is toast.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
0verdrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
That's just an inspection plate that covers the bottom of the flywheel, it doesn't actually seal anything... If you have a lot of fluid coming from that hole I would say you have bigger problems than that bent plate....
Yeah, I figured as much - I'll finish getting the transmission out this weekend, and then we'll see what the transmission mechanic comes back with.

In the meantime, should I straighten the plate, or was it designed this way?

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
0verdrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aubrey
Mine has always looked like that (the bent part) and probably half the time I've owned the truck so has the fluid. My recent issue and possibly yours is possibly a bad pump seal. I haven't had the money to take it in so it's gonna have to wait. They should be able to tell you if it needs a new seal, if the shaft is wobblying, and if anything is toast.
I started to say that it was good to know that yours also looks the same - perhaps they were designed that way?

But if you're having the same trouble I am, perhaps they weren't! Anyone know for sure?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is just an inspection plate. The little indent right there is normal. Maybe for venting. Not sure. Any fluid issues are up farther and behind the plate. It just keeps the big crud and small animals out.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never noticed if my plate was bent or not.... I'm goin out shortly to do some tinkerin on it and wash her so I'll have a look

Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine looks just like that

Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's suppost to be there just in case you have a leak there, it won't build up.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
0verdrive
Rookie

Great! Thanks for all your help - I would have been trying to straighten it otherwise.

Now I just have to wait to see how badly messed up my transmission is... (crosses fingers, hoping it's just the seal...)

Quick Reply: Help determine fix for transmission leak!