2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
Two of them measure 4.59 Ohms, one reads 4.6 Ohms and one reads 3.266 Ohms.

Edit before I post, the one with the lower value has different bands. It goes gold/red/orange/orange.

The other three are gold/red/purple/yellow.
Meter's fine, no worries. You just saved the price of a multimeter you don't need.

You've got three 4.7k +/- 5% resistors, and one 3.3k +/- 5%.

Is the electrical problem still gone?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
I meant no offense or disrespect in my last post. I just assumed that an innocent and normal enough typo or thinko had interfered with your presentation of your thoughts, and I didn't want to see Sheriff420 throwing away his DMM because his 1k+/-10% resistor measured a perfectly acceptable 993 ohms rather than in the range 999.95 - 1000.05.

Until you got pissed off about it, I'd assumed you'd simply made an innocent mistake of the sort we all make from time to time. Now I'm suspending judgment.

Aw, why not? I'm grinnin' like a drunk monkey and taking none of it seriously. I'm surprised that a fellow engineer would become emotional over this kind of thing.

Surely, as an engineer, you can appreciate the great value of peers who will hold you to the highest standards. I surely do. When I make a slip on the keyboard that changes the meaning of my words, make noise about it so I will learn to be more careful for everyone present and that poor clod who comes along five years from now so they won't be misled by my mistake. If I expose ignorance, enlighten me so that I and everyone else, including that future clod, can learn. If I won't learn, at least try so those who are listening/reading along might. I've never known even one engineer who didn't operate in this way by the time he or she got out of college.

I wouldn't want to work in an environment where these things weren't practiced. I wouldn't want to participate in this forum if these things were not practiced here.

I never worked at a place that made me use low-budget TME. Even the economical Fluke 8050A that's long out of production had a "Ref" button that could be used to zero the meter prior to taking low-value resistance/continuity measurements. And for making differential voltage or current measurements. Or for messing with the operator's head by poking it when he wasn't looking.

I encountered my first non-zeroing DMM in 1988 or 1989 when a neighbor bought one from Radio Shack. I was helping him troubleshoot a broken Heathkit 2kW HF amp (that he picked up at a flea market) and he handed the cheesy DMM to me -- the first thing I did was short the leads and look for the autozero button that it didn't have. A few months later he threw it in his automotive toolbox and bought a real DMM for his bench after he discovered the cheap handheld had 10x more precision than accuracy.

Grand idea. Don't get emotionally distressed over a simple conversation on a web forum. I meant no offense, I truly didn't. You're using a graphical web browser, right? You saw the winky emoticon?

Enough apologizing, time to have fun. Take it like a man. The practice won't hurt much.

K = degrees Kelvin, k = prefix indicating 1*10^3 ... surely I'm not the only one here who knows this?

Ohm is not spelled in all caps. It's a guy's name. So are Hertz, Henry, and Gauss. Farad isn't, but it's shortened from Faraday, and we don't spell it in all caps either. UHF is in all caps, but only because we named it after the Norwegian janitor who was always spilling our coffee, so we always yelled his name. "UHF! You clumsy fool! Watch where you're swinging that mop!"

Well, okay, I made the last one up. Some time after I left school they started the "Education Should Be Fun" campaign and I just happen to agree with the concept.

1k or any other value +/- 0.00005% is still a resistor I really, really want to see. Perfectly honestly, I'd spend the better part of a day playing with it. Or would if I could find an ohmmeter with that kind of accuracy, anyway. I have no idea how the thermal noise in the components might be overcome to accomplish that, but I'd surely love to see it.

Consider thy chain playfully yanked, friend. No harm was meant and no ill will is harbored. Cheer TFU. Smile.
Personally, I don't like people yanking my chain. I don't yank yours, you don't yank mine. I respect people that I don't know on a personal level. It was a typo but, I'm tired of the nitpicking to be frank. That's all. Same with the nitpicking about capitalizing OHM. I do this intentionally for all my posts for lots of things to make it stand out like BAT for example.

This is done intentionally just as Hank L used to use that chunking style of his. It was something that he felt helped the reader flow through material. I like to CAP certain things to aid in scanning.

CM

Old 08-13-2010, 03:08 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

K = degrees Kelvin, k = prefix indicating 1*10^3 ... surely I'm not the only one here who knows this?
Maybe you're the only one here that knows anything! LOL Maybe the rest of us are all dumb.

Remember, when typing it out, some write it like: Khz or, KHz or kHz or khz or KHZ which, is the same exact thing in terms of the meaning. It may be written wrong or a typo but, I don't nitpick to that level because, I understand what that person is trying to communicate.

CM

Old 08-13-2010, 05:39 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

No worries, cmk. My only concern was that Sheriff420 not go off and spend his hard-earned money on a replacement for a perfectly functional DMM. Had he diligently followed your instructions to the letter, he probably would have. I would have felt badly knowing that he'd done so when it was within my power with a few keystrokes to save him that pointless expense.

I expect my fellow engineers to conduct themselves with professional ethics, including, whether a member of the organization or not, those enumerated by the IEEE. Particularly relevant to this matter are:
5. to improve the understanding of technology, its appropriate application, and potential consequences;

7. to seek, accept, and offer honest criticism of technical work, to acknowledge and correct errors, and to credit properly the contributions of others;

9. to avoid injuring others, their property, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action;

10. to assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to support them in following this code of ethics.
Sheriff420 needed some additional understanding of technology, which is why he asked questions, and he would have been injured had he traded away the hours of his life spent earning the money to buy a replacement DMM that he does not, as far as we know right now, need. The inclusion of the other points, I assume, is self-explanatory.

Your indignation, sir, is not righteous. I used the tools that are provided to indicate to you that no disrespect or insult was intended while I conducted myself in the only ethically correct manner -- the winky emoticon was there for that very reason and could not have had any other purpose. It was you, my friend, who whipped out the professional qualification card to preface your public denigration of my professional qualifications. I surely did stoop to that level once you delivered the invitation, and whether or not my dignity and/or self-esteem are injured by that is between only me and my concience.

Originally Posted by cmckenna
I respect people that I don't know on a personal level.
... does not jive with:

Originally Posted by cmckenna
For someone who didn't realize that there was meters that had no zero out capability, well, I'm going to stop before I say something I shouldn't. I have to force myself to stop now.
... which is obviously an expression of personal and professional contempt.

All that said and be it as it may, my most sincere congratulations on landing that new contract and best wishes for a lucrative and enjoyable experience, and many more to come.

Be well and travel safely.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I value both of your points of views when it comes to all things electrical and I wouldn't make an impulse buy on a new meter if mine was just a little bit off.

Some buttons have been pushed, whether by accident or not, but I think it would be best to stop the nitpicking because I can tell that y'all are getting under each others skin over small details and in between the arguments there are good bits of info to be read.

The capitalization of certain words to make them stand out does help when someone, like me for instance, just isn't getting the point you're trying to get across.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:15 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

I never advised him to get a new meter. Not once. I mentioned that Fluke was the best but, I never told him that his meter needed replacing. I had asked him to check to see if it was working properly. Also, I mentioned the fact that I have a beater meter that suffices implying, that if it works for me, his meter would also work for him.

CM

Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Thanks, Sheriff420 -- duly noted, appreciated, and to be respected.

Please know, for what little it may be worth, that my feathers were never ruffled. In engineering circles, challenges are expected, accepted, and appreciated for what they are: an opportunity to give or receive a very valuable gift, to honor one's profession, and to honor those who've given their own gifts freely.

When a challenge is offered to me, if my understanding is proven wrong the knowledge I receive is a great gift and I appreciate it as such. If my understanding is proven right, I give that gift to the challenger, freely, and in so doing honor those who've given freely to me and my obligation to them. I hope but I do not require that the challenger accept and/or appreciate that gift. It's enough for me that I've done my part to keep the good juju in motion.

Without the open offer and acceptance of those challenges, without the intellectually honest pursuit of their conclusion, engineering would not be the noble calling that it is and society would be the worse for it. Without the individual acceptance of this thing as it is, the individual engineer will be the worse for it.

It's win:win even if it's sometimes messy. I appreciate challenges and approach them eagerly, happy to be involved, and with a sense of fun because I greatly enjoy the unraveling of the mysteries of the physical universe even when they're small and I know the end of the story in advance. And even when I find that the story doesn't end as I thought it should. It's all good. There's just no way I'm going to be bothered by a sometimes messy but always fun win:win situation.

As always: no worries.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I got the fuses in the mail for my meter the other day and I just checked the IOD, it's .018 amps.

I drove the truck a couple times since cleaning the battery posts the other day and everything is online so I really believe it was just the corroded battery posts that made the truck throw a fit.

Quick Reply: Electrical issue