2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! hesitation when engine cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:26 PM
D Nivens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 doge ram 1500. After I drive it for a few miles and it warms up it will cut off at lights etc. If I let it cool down it will run good until it warms up again if I hold my foot on the gas it will keep running what do you think this is.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe you should read the replies in the thread where you posted the exact same question. And maybe think about reading the stickies on top of the forum, like this one for instance. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...new-topic.html

Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
vettius
Default Well thats gotta be it

I am having the same issue. just did all the routine stuff anyway, it was due, (cap rotor plugs pcv air cleaner) still having same issue. sounds like a exact match. i DID THE DOWNSTREAM ONE A COUPLE YEARS AGO, IT THREW CODES RIGHT AWAY BUT THIS TIME NONE. I gotta say thanks for the posts, new and old, people helping people. I will be sure if I can help next time I will. I will post results in a couple days however I am confident that this will do it. THANKS ALL!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
ArmySoldier22
Default Same Problem

I have been having the exact same problem with my 2003 ram 1500 5.9L. The only thing is that it's not putting out any codes. Is it possible that sometimes the O2 sensor could be bad without putting out any codes? Do i have to replace both O2 sensors or just the pre-cat one?

Things I have done to try to fix this problem unsuccessfully:
-Cleaned TB
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced TPS
-Replaced IAC valve
-Replaced PCV valve
-Replaced crank sensor
-Replaced Map Sensors
-Replaced Fuel pump (bad pressure reading)
-Checked the back pressure for the CAT, turned out fine

Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22
I have been having the exact same problem with my 2003 ram 1500 5.9L. The only thing is that it's not putting out any codes. Is it possible that sometimes the O2 sensor could be bad without putting out any codes? Do i have to replace both O2 sensors or just the pre-cat one?

Things I have done to try to fix this problem unsuccessfully:
-Cleaned TB
-Replaced spark plugs
-Replaced TPS
-Replaced IAC valve
-Replaced PCV valve
-Replaced crank sensor
-Replaced Map Sensors
-Replaced Fuel pump (bad pressure reading)
-Checked the back pressure for the CAT, turned out fine

Thanks for any advice!
Yes the o2's can be bad without setting any codes. I'd replace both, and get NTK's.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 PM
ArmySoldier22

Ok thanks for the advice. Any tips on the best ways to remove an old, rusted O2 Sensor? The pre-CAT sensor is a damn pain to get to, and the local mechanic I go to said he can't remove it without cutting out the pipe around it and replacing the pipe. Are there any tricks to it? Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22
Ok thanks for the advice. Any tips on the best ways to remove an old, rusted O2 Sensor? The pre-CAT sensor is a damn pain to get to, and the local mechanic I go to said he can't remove it without cutting out the pipe around it and replacing the pipe. Are there any tricks to it? Thanks!
That's ridiculous, never heard of anyone have to cut pipe to remove it. You can buy a special split socket or cut the wires off and use a regular one. Try soaking with penetrating oil and/or start it and let the pipes get hot and try to remove it.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

+1 on letting it warm up then trying to remove them, i had to use a big open ended wrench with a bit of a snipe on it to loosen mine.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:14 PM
MBACFP

Originally Posted by paulgug
I am new to this forum, but I have been reading through some threads, and it seems like there is lots of valuble information being shared. Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated.
Here is my problem.
My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, with 5.9L has been acting up for quite a while now. The problem is very consistent. The engine starts and runs fine for a couple minutes, then it begins to sputter and hesitate and backfire. The RPMs drop off and if I hold the accelerator down nothing happens. If I release the accelerator the RPMs jump up a bit for a couple seconds before the problem repeats itself. IT DOES THIS EVERYTIME. After a couple minutes of this problem the engine warms up and she runs great.
I have read a few postings that suggest the coolant temperature sensor might be the culprit. I will try changing this today or tomorrow because it is a cheap part and seems simple enough to change. Does anyone know where the coolant temperature sensor will be located on a 2001 Ram? I have found info on different threads that discuss different locations on Rams that are a couple years older than mine, but from what I have read these older Rams have a sensor and a sender, which I don't think I have.
Any ideas or input is welcome.
Thanks!
I am new here and I wanted to say thanks for this thread. My truck 2003 Dodge Durango R/T (99,000 miles on truck) started doing this last Saturday morning. No check engine light ever came on. Mine did it with engine cold start or after sitting for 30+ minutes after engine was already warm. Thanks to this thread I replaced the 02 sensor (Bank1, Sensor 1) as mentioned above. Drove it 2 times since then and has completely gone away. Wanted to add this to the knowledge base for future searchers with this problem. Be safe all.

Quick Reply: HELP! hesitation when engine cold