2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! hesitation when engine cold

Old 08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
paulgug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! hesitation when engine cold

I am new to this forum, but I have been reading through some threads, and it seems like there is lots of valuble information being shared. Any help anyone could offer would be much appreciated.
Here is my problem.
My 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, with 5.9L has been acting up for quite a while now. The problem is very consistent. The engine starts and runs fine for a couple minutes, then it begins to sputter and hesitate and backfire. The RPMs drop off and if I hold the accelerator down nothing happens. If I release the accelerator the RPMs jump up a bit for a couple seconds before the problem repeats itself. IT DOES THIS EVERYTIME. After a couple minutes of this problem the engine warms up and she runs great.
I have read a few postings that suggest the coolant temperature sensor might be the culprit. I will try changing this today or tomorrow because it is a cheap part and seems simple enough to change. Does anyone know where the coolant temperature sensor will be located on a 2001 Ram? I have found info on different threads that discuss different locations on Rams that are a couple years older than mine, but from what I have read these older Rams have a sensor and a sender, which I don't think I have.
Any ideas or input is welcome.
Thanks!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:47 AM
paulgug

My check engine light came on yesterday, it has been coming on every couple months, and it goes away on its own after a couple days. The OBDII code I pulled yesterday was:

P0132 O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor1)

Could this sensor really be causing all my problems or is it likely unrelated?
I am a bit of a rookie here so any help would be great..

Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 AM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

yes the o2 sensors play weird games with the fueling of the truck, sounds like it's time to replace them with some new ones.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
paulgug

I changed the coolant temperature sensor last night, and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Kinda what I expected but you never know. I think I might move on to checking the O2 sensors next. I have read that the O2 sensor is not always to blame, and that it can quite often be the harness or the wiring.

How can I test this to rule out one problem or the other? I am just trying to avoid purchasing new O2 sensors for no reason. (i am a student and i have next to no $$$)

I am going to do a visual inspection but I am sure there is a way to actually test the wiring using a multi-meter or something.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

try pulling them out and just cleaning them with some brake cleaner, you may save yourself some $ if they are just all sooted up.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have an O2 sensor problem.

The truck ignores the o2 sensor for warm up, called open loop. When you hit closed loop the heated o2 sensor attempts to keep the truck running at a very specific air to fuel ratio. The problem with your o2 sensor is that it is failing and not reading correctly. When you step on the gas, the extra heat from exhaust heats the o2 sensor and it starts to read correctly again, for a brief time. When you let off the gas, the o2 sensor cools down and throws fits again.

Specifically it is the o2 sensor that is closest to the engine before the catalytic converter (the big bulgy thing in the exhaust right after the 2 down pipes connect at a Y). It's called the precat o2 sensor.

NTK oxygen sensors are the best ones IMHO. You need to check the plug on your 2001 oxygen sensor. At some point in that year dodge switched from a round plug to a square plug. All parts store computers will tell you to get a round plug, but it won't fit if you have a square plug. If you have the square plug, ask for a 2002 dodge ram o2 sensor and it will fit.

The plug is actually above the overdrive unit. Trace the wire back and feel for the plug. There is a small red tab that must be pulled outward before you can remove the plug. Most likey the plug will be pretty dirty and you'll need to wiggle it pretty good to get it to come loose.

The only other thing you need to be sure of is whether you have Federal emissions, or California emissions. Cali emissions have 2 o2 sensors near the smaller Pre-cats.

Be sure to post up if this fixes your problem.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm dog-piling here: It's almost certainly the oxygen sensor. What you're describing is exactly their end of service life failure mode.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 PM
paulgug

thanks for all your help. i finally got around to putting in a precat O2 sensor a couple weeks ago and the problem dissappeard right away. Sorry for the delay in this response.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Glad ya got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 PM
notanexit7
Captain

I'm needing new o2 sensors also. Since mine is a 99 I'm guessing I have the round end connector. The NTK site has 2 pre cat sensors, left and right. Which one do I need since I don't live in California?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! hesitation when engine cold