2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

preview of beefnut steering / track bar build

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:17 AM
northernRAM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preview of beefnut steering / track bar build

Been a working away on this current project, full hiem joint, dom tubing steering and track bar with home built relocation track bar bracket, just finished mocking up the steering and got the track bar bracket built but ran out of time today, more pics to follow, gonna be beefy once im done
[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're gonna have the alignment guy scratching his head when you take it to him. Looks like it'll be pretty tough.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:54 AM
MrRuckuss
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ thats what i was wondering how are you going to adjust the joints?????? i take that back, he's not going to be wondering how to adjust them, he's going to be smiling as his eyeballs turn to $$$$ signs. it'll be beefy alright i'll give ya that, but its going to be a royal pain for an alignment, they will have to take off each joint adjust, put back on, check alignment, take joint back off, adjust, realign......money, but i suppose once you get it done shouldn't need it for awhile, if ever you need it again for that matter.....nice job, hope it works out for ya.

Last edited by MrRuckuss; 08-17-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure there is an adjustment nut on the Heim joint. I believe you just crack them both loose, spin the tubing to where you want it then lock them down.
Well that would work for the steering, but the new tie rod has the bend in it so it'll probably need to be spot on before the joints get welded.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
sk8erdude
Veteran

where did you get the joints and tubing?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM
northernRAM

hahahahaha why pay some dude that doesnt give a crap about my truck to work on my truck. On a straight axle the only adjustment that you can change beside the top to bottom angle (chamber i think is the term and this is done while doing your top ball joint) is the alignment. This on a solid axle is so easy, just take your wheels off and get two identical flat long pieces of metal, clamp them to your brake rotors which are hopefully flat, let the edges rest on the wheel studs (take the top 2 nuts off) nice and level and measure from one side to the other, anything within a half inch front to back wont wear your tires anymore then you care. So easy to save money when doing a build. And, if anyone cares, ballistic fab sells the steering kit for roughly $325 but you have to bend it yourself. (to clear pumpkin)

Last edited by northernRAM; 08-18-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 AM
northernRAM

update, track bar relocation bracket mocked in
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by northernRAM; 08-18-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

how far down do the drop brackets drop your track bar? did you get those drop tabs from ballistic also?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Looks very nice. I looked into crossover steering a while back, but the cost involved kept me away. Thuren fabrication lists their kit for almost $500

http://www.thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

Still seems like a great upgrade to factory. I still may do this when my tie rod ends are due for replacement.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:57 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great, i'm a big fan of the DIY alignments too, i do i t quite a bit and never any problems, i'm sure you probably know this already, but make sure your drag link and your track bar are at the same angle so there is no bump steer

Quick Reply: preview of beefnut steering / track bar build