2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How did you learn so much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Hick727
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you learn so much?

Im trying to learn more about trucks but i just cant seem too find places to. I learn some stuff on here but half the time i have no idea what everyone is talking about lol. Got any advice? I wanna contribute to the forum instead of continuously ask questions which im sure annoys alot of you.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 AM
northernRAM

best way to figure things out is to rip, tear and rebuild your own dodge then it all starts making sense

Old 08-18-2010, 12:16 AM
a-master
Veteran

Everyone always asks me why I'm 18 and can do all my auto work, and friends auto work myself. I blew the engine in my first car (A 98 v6 camaro) driving it like a dumbass. My dad, out of the kindness of his heart, agreed to help me rebuild it. I learned out of necessity and needless to say, that car, nor the truck will ever see above 80 again. Plus my gas bill went way down after driving it like a normal person. The exception to that is when my t-case is in 4H-L

Old 08-18-2010, 01:15 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I started off knowing just as little as you back when I first joined the forum. The only thing I knew how to do was change a tire, change my own oil/filter, and change the air filter.

I am by no means a master mechanic, because I don't have that kind of love for working on my own truck. Not saying I don't like to now-and-then, but I don't find tearing apart my engine and rebuilding it an entertaining idea.

From searching the forum for terminology and techniques that we talk about, but you don't understand, you will learn a lot. You just have to be willing to research what you don't understand, or ask. We only find you semi-annoying, don't worry. J/K.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a fire in the engine compartment of your truck, which just so happens to be your daily driver. Then when you have to replace the underhood wiring harness, and about a dozen sensors...you tent to learn quick...or like walking.

Oh, and reading magazines, and watching speed network helps.

OH, and buy a HAYNES manual and start doing some little things. Like brake pads, Tune ups (Cap/rotor/plugs). That is a good start. Then you can just read the manual. OR you can read through the DIYs on here. Lots of little things that you will learn a lot from.

This is not my first online forum. I started in thirdgen.org when I owned an IROC Z-28. That was from 2000-2003. Then I came here in the summer of 2004 a year after I bought my first dodge.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

ive always liked to tare things apart, see how they work, put them back together, try to modify it in some way... ever since i was little, from little things like the tv remote, to the riding lawnmower outside.

and like they already said above just do alot of reading on this site, the advanced search feature on top of the page helps out alot with random problems, cause everyone here has pretty much already had that problem and found a solution.

Last edited by 99dodge318; 08-18-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I grew up working on automobiles and power equipment, and pretty much anything else that needed maintenance or repair. The example I was set was that a man knows how all of his tools work and how to keep them working, so as a child aspiring to be a man I got involved in all of that stuff that I could and checked books out of the public library to learn about things that I hadn't been involved with yet. These days, if I own it I can repair it.

I don't suppose anyone here is going to be annoyed by questions. Asking and answering questions is why we're all here. That said, if you're not up on internal combustion engine theory and operation you might want to hit some web sites or the public library (I prefer the library, myself) to learn about that, then grab up a service manual for your truck and pick it over. Then, because there's more to a truck than its engine, you might want to pick up a book about brakes, another about automatic transmissions, and so on.

If you go about your self-education that way, it won't be too long before you'll know more than most DIY mechanics ever bother to learn.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:19 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just take it apart, put it back together. you learn how it works.
with a dodge that stays broke half the time, you get a lot of opportunity. LOL.

i once had a guy tell me (after i had done something wrong) - "you never learn anything by doing it right the first time. only by doing it wrong, and then having to fix it". that sort of sucks, but its true.

when i was a kid i had neighbors that raced cars at the local dirt track. i used to hang around there and learned some.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i agree with people the way i learn is to just do it myself....these trucks arent complicated at all

Old 08-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Relex
Veteran

I started off just like you not knowing anything but how to change a wheel. Between this forum and me breaking my truck time after time mudding I've learned quite a bit.

Quick Reply: How did you learn so much?