2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E85 Conversion Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said tho, I jus like the idea of burning fuel that me and my neighbors grow, and not looking to gain fuel savings. I know high alcohol fuels dry out seals and such, but do you think there are any detrimental effects on the engine itself, like on the pistons and other aluminum parts that are more prone to corrosion from alcohols? I don't want to shorten the life of my engine is the only thing.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:33 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

maybe while your at it you should convert your truck to steam powered. cleans the engine and it could run on whatever you can find to burn which should not be too hard.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you run it all the time there shouldn't be many ill effects. Erhanol causes problems when it sits.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 PM
dadslittleredtruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't tell you how I know but you'll have to trust that I know.

No ethanol plant truly runs at full capacity. There are constant maintenance issues to address because of the effects of alcohol on rubber. Just wait a few more years when all these hybrid E85 vehicles start having more issues. The cost of repairs to the seals and gaskets (read "motors") will quickly erase the money, and more, you saved at the pump.

A bit of trivia: To keep employees from stealing the 200 proof grain alcohol for consumption, the shine is poisoned with ...

Gasoline.

Go figure, huh?

Quick Reply: E85 Conversion Kits