2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AC Compressor Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC Compressor Clutch

Before any one chimes in, I already tried a search!

Took Ram on a 1000 mile trip this weekend. First long trip after tranny rebuild and kegger mod. Ran great. On the way home, noticed a whirling noise at idle. Got our several times but by the time I opened hood, it quit.

Finally, ehen I got home and unloaed everything, I moved truck to garage and it started again....and this time I caught it. The AC clutch was growling. AC worked on trip (wife's feet got wet from condensate leaking - good thing got truck form HER brother!). Clutch was not engaged but growling.

Question is, has anyone changed the clutch and bearing out before? I read over procedure in servcice manual, but they use a specail tool to remove. Obviously don't have this tool. What type of puller has anyone used? I know I cannot pull against coil without damaging, although I have not checked to see if coil is the problem or clutch. I know bearing is bad, and I smelled what I believe was the clutch a couple of times while on the road.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:23 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local ac shop replaced mine with a junkyard unit for $100, I'd personally look for a shop to do it if I was you

Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 PM
gdstock
Legend

Compressor works, just clutch issue.

I am wanting to just replace clutch components without having to replace compressor so I don't have to drain refrigerant, crack system open, and replace drier. Plus I would have to go to Oklahoma to get my recovery tank.....

Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

You can just replace the clutch, check the service manual for the procedure, I think there is some special tool that might be required....

Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can just replace the clutch, check the service manual for the procedure, I think there is some special tool that might be required....

The special tool is the issue. I already printed that section of FSM. I haven't pulled it off yet to look inside. On my Tacoma I had to fab a tool to remove it, but as it gets dark early, I was hoping someone could give me an idea as I will probably have the truck down for a couple of days. local parts stores don't show a clutch only item as they only list entire compressor (more money). I will have to go to AC compressor mafg in Abilene probably.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could go buy a junkyard compressor and pull the pulley from it

Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can get a spanner wrench at Sears. And here is a DIY. http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl249i.htm

You didn't search very well, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tructions.html

Last edited by zman17; 11-15-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by zman17
You can get a spanner wrench at Sears. And here is a DIY. http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl249i.htm

You didn't search very well, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tructions.html

My search ended up with more Neon results....go figgure. The spanner is no problem, it is the puller. Guess I'll have to start taking apart and figure how to fab something on the fly. Can't tell if is is a tube with a ridge that fits into a groove or what....Guess I'll also take photos for reference....

Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Archion
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check parts suppliers for FJC part # 2925 or equivalent. It is the primary clutch tool kit, you might even be able to rent it some where. The puller you need for the Sanden SD7H15 compressor looks like a small 3 bolt balancer puller/installer.

Edit: Here is a link from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/FJC-Compressor.../dp/B0002JMEXU

Last edited by Archion; 11-15-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Archion
Check parts suppliers for FJC part # 2925 or equivalent. It is the primary clutch tool kit, you might even be able to rent it some where. The puller you need for the Sanden SD7H15 compressor looks like a small 3 bolt balancer puller/installer.

Edit: Here is a link from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/FJC-Compressor.../dp/B0002JMEXU
Thanks for the link. I think AZ has a puller like that in their tool loaner program. I'll go and get it. Don't see anyplace for three bolt puller to attach, but I will clean it off with brake cleanrer this evening and see what I can make work.

I pulled compressor off at lunch.

Other than noise, this is the first sign of a problem. Could have sworn that red looking stuff was shiny black last week......
Name:  ACClutch-1221.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  58.7 KB

This plate shows significant metal to metal signs....
Name:  ACClutch-1235.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  62.8 KB

This bearing looks like it has seen MUCH better days. And I don't think I ever saw an AC bearing go without taking out the coil.

Name:  Bearing-1235.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  61.5 KB

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Clutch