2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1.7rr's mpgs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

southeast is 275 i believe well worth it

Old 08-30-2010, 06:50 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only special tool you need is a decent torque wrench.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
sorry to resurrect a dying thread, but:

How concerned about valve clearance should I be with the 1.7's on a stock motor?
Not an issue on a stock engine. Even with 2.02 intake valves and the 318's flat top pistons, I don't have a problem. If you change cams, you'll need to be mindful.

How hard is doing this by yourself with standard tool sets?
Need a torque wrench that can do 21ft/lbs. and an allen wrench socket that will fit on the torque wrench, can't recall the size right now, sorry. Harbor Freight has sets of them for very cheap. The rest is basic hand tools.

Do you need the guide plates?
Not if you use he Harland Sharp non-adjustables. don't know about the other brands.

[quote=drewactual;2247955]
Is it a six pack job or a couple case job?
[quote]

Depends on how fast you drink, LOL. I'd say it's a 2 1/2 hour job with clean up, if you've never taken the valve covers off before as you gotta do a bunch of checking and guessing of what you need to move/remove.

I have the SCT inbound right now, and I'm putting the plenum plate on this weekend. I hope to have the headers on by the end of next week. I have two new 160 degree 'stats, but I'm thinkin' real hard about the 180, as everyone here seems to favor them- though I don't know why.. ??..
It's an extra hour if you're doing the plenum as most of the crap will be off and out of the way. A 160* t stat will usually throw a CEL as the engine won't reach closed loop operating mode and keep dumping extra fuel to heat up the engine. You'll need and in/lbs. torque wrench for the plenum and a fuel line disconnect tool (think Harbor Freight, but not for a torque wrench.)

How much more umph will I get by upgrading to #24 injectors and Fastman 52mm? Is it worth it?
Fastman, worth it! Injectors, not unless you have a malfunctioning injector. There's a benefit to a 4 hole injector, but not a $300 one for a new set with you're current and near planned mods. Not quite yet.

Sorry for all the newb questions.. Thanks in advance..
If you can figure out how to work it, the search function can pull up a bunch of old threads on these topics where benefits and cons of each of your proposed mods has been thoroughly descussed/debated with some really good insight by some past members. Worth a read, IMHO.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:38 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey man.. I have some mischievous squirrels over this way, once you're done helping me figure my build, you wanna pitch in with that too? :-)

thanks for your help..

I emailed and called John Mercedes at Southeast last year and discussed some build options. He is a a heckuva guy and a wealth of knowledge. I highly rec him AND his business.. I talked with him again last night some..

Did you fellas know he designed those rockers? I didn't.. He is most likely the source I'm going to use for many of my parts/build.. It's just not common anymore to run into somebody who will take the time to talk and explain why they are telling you what they are, and who will straight up tell you you're wasting your money even if it's THEM making the money.. I dig that.. I dig it a lot.

I'm defiantly doing the rockers, but with a twist.. I'm going to have him build me a set of heads based on Edelbrocks, ported and 2.02 intakes.. I'm thinking, once a tune is written and SCT'd to the PCM, I'll be getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 horses from it. But I'll also be getting the same heads I'm going to run on the 408 when I finally get the change to do that.... If, I get the umph I'm looking for from this rig- chances are I'll not be too concerned about boring her out.. See where I'm coming from? Does that make any sense to you guys?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I called that guy and got the same story for like 2 hours. Apparently I rubbed him the wrong way or something cause he wouldn't take my order. I found some dude on ebay who matched his price when I called him and it onlly took a couple minutes instead of hours. It was frustrating as I sat there the whole time and all John/SEP had to do was tell me where to send the money but never did. I thought it was wierd like an episode of the outer limits or something.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:57 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

i could have sworn that the torque required for the roller rockers was 83 ft lbs.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No sir, rocker torque is 21 ft/lbs. If you put 83 ft/lbs on yours, I'd back them off. Don't know if you can overlash non adjustables or not, but it wouldn't be good for the lifters or power if you did. 83 ft/lbs might stretch/snap a bolt.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

well....crap. Guess I will back them off. Hope the lifters are still good. I could have sworn that someone said 83 ft lbs when he did them.

21 ft lbs is practically nothing
Yeah, you should do that, like now. It is possible that most of your rockers are cracked now. John told my dad over the phone, anything over 21 ft lbs will crack them.

to the op: Make sure you spend your money on a good torque wrench, learn how to use it, and not buy a cheap Harbor Freight one. I ruined my transmission by doing the latter.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 08-31-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Reading>Me
Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
No sir, rocker torque is 21 ft/lbs. If you put 83 ft/lbs on yours, I'd back them off. Don't know if you can overlash non adjustables or not, but it wouldn't be good for the lifters or power if you did. 83 ft/lbs might stretch/snap a bolt.
well....crap. Guess I will back them off. Hope the lifters are still good. I could have sworn that someone said 83 ft lbs when he did them.

21 ft lbs is practically nothing.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

I imagine 83 ft/lbs would just snap the bolts right off...

And if anything I noticed a slight MPG gain by doing the 1.7s.

Quick Reply: 1.7rr's mpgs