2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need electric fans soon, looking for a good setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pacman! YOu got the same red cage e fans from FF Dynamics too? How you like them? Fairly easy install right, how long to put in? And temp did you set your controller? I put mine at 165 to kick on.
Yeah same ones ...they are great... haven't had any problems with them cooling . It took me the better part of the day to install them ...but I needed to clean up some wiring that I had been putting off for months.... I also used di-electric grease , shrink tubes and wire loom on everything under the hood. so that took a lot of time. I have been playing with the temp setting a little as I was pulling a camper for a week....so I wanted them to run all the time. I'm gonna be installing my 180 thermostat next week so I will have to match it up with that .

Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Question: Do your fans automatically come on when you put your key in the 'ON' position? or do they kick on at the temp you set? I'm asking cuz I think my electrician buddy messed up wiring the units, they just come on when I pop the key to "ON". And FF Dynamics told me they are only suppose to kick on the the temp you set on the controller....
If I turn the controller all the way down they will come on automatically but if I turn it up a bit they will come on after it runs for a min or two. I've been trying to match it to operation temp...I do not believe you want your truck to run cold ..I have been told you want it to run as warm as possible without overheating....I try to set it to come on when my gauge is right in the middle. So they should not always just come on with the key .

Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
nathangfnd
Captain

Ive heard of people having problemes with the fans when the ac kicks on, they tend to pull to much power from the battery. Do you have any problemes like that

Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The thermostat in the engine stays closed and stops flow until the coolant reaches the temp on the T stat. The fans won't effect the temp lower than what the T stat allows.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

I have no problems with the AC...because I removed it completely ...compressor and all....I also run 2 batteries as I like to have tunes when I'm in the bush sitting around a fire and havin a few wobbly pops. So I have a switch to disconnect one so if I forget and run one dead with tunes I can still start and charge them both.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM
jpoole
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone bought this setup off eBay? Seems high priced but looks like a good setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

Would any milage increase cover the high cost?

Last edited by jpoole; 08-26-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoole
Has anyone bought this setup off eBay? Seems high priced but looks like a good setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

Would any milage increase cover the high cost?
Holy Smoke batman! 550 bucks?????

If you owned your truck for five to ten years, figuring 'average' mileage driven, it might pay for itself. Assuming it didn't require any more money sunk into it.

VERY nice system though.

I see alternating claims of shrouds being bad/good though.... some folks say their study says one thing, the next guy says his study says just the opposite. Both guys say they do radiators/cooling for a living. Whom do you believe?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
2real2die

SPAL are great fans, and thats actually a pretty good deal on them. I spent $250 on a single SPAL fan on my old IMCA Modified

Last edited by 2real2die; 08-26-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 PM
jpoole
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it is a sweet setup but dang! Same guy has shroud for $160 and you add fans. But, how do you relocate the side tanks if you just add the fans? Are there any kits out there for that?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by jpoole
I know it is a sweet setup but dang! Same guy has shroud for $160 and you add fans. But, how do you relocate the side tanks if you just add the fans? Are there any kits out there for that?
The one linked has provisions for mounting the tanks.

Quick Reply: Need electric fans soon, looking for a good setup