2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new motor with cam, does it need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new motor with cam, does it need a tune?

will my new motor with a more aggresive cam run correctly without a tune? i do plan to get a tune eventually but was wondering if i can run it for a while ithout one.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 PM
techmike
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. It will run like crap if the cam is much bigger than stock.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^x2, impossible for the mtr to run to its potential without a tune
Get an SCT tuner from Hemifever

Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
^x2, impossible for the mtr to run to its potential without a tune
Get an SCT tuner from Hemifever
yea like i said i will get one like a month after the engine is installed, will it run ok until then? also how does that work with hemifever? ik with my brothers diesel he has a sct livewire and a guy just emails him custom tunes to put on the livewire and then on his truck, are we talkn the same deal here?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
techmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by matty675
yea like i said i will get one like a month after the engine is installed, will it run ok until then? also how does that work with hemifever? ik with my brothers diesel he has a sct livewire and a guy just emails him custom tunes to put on the livewire and then on his truck, are we talkn the same deal here?
The PCM will apply a stock tune to the motor and try to adjust as much as possible to the CAM. It may run rich, it may run lean it may not run at as the timing will be off. You will throw codes...probably either a bank 1 and 2 lean, cylinder 1 - 8 misfire, cylinder 1 - 8 repeated misfire, IAC system problem, throttle position system problem and others but what does it matter at this point.

Now....with the doom and gloom out of the way, what's the spec on the new CAM? Depending on the increase you might be alright to drive it onto a trailer, pull it into the garage but certainly not in any shape to drive daily without a tune.

What CAM did you go with? What valve train modifications did you make?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:24 AM
trucklover
Veteran

I can run the stock settings with my KRC 210x cam without setting a code. It has no power, but it is drivable.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by trucklover
I can run the stock settings with my KRC 210x cam without setting a code. It has no power, but it is drivable.
ughhh! i guess ill be adding another 400 bones to the new motor tab.... do you hav any suggestions for the cam specs- i want as much of a power increase as possible (also i wuldnt mind a couple ponies above 2k) while keeping it a daily driver. im getting a hughes airgap as well. and id love to hear it lope a little if possible

Old 08-23-2010, 04:02 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your question about the hemifever deal:

YES, he just emails you tunes and you download to the SCT and upload to your truck. Great deal. $375 shipped.

Good thing about hemifever and his business:

1. YOu send him the cam specs, head specs and all other things you have. He makes a tune based on that data. Truck runs REALLY well.
2. If you get a wideband O2 sensor, he will redo those codes if you send him your AF ratio at WOT. FREE OF CHARGE. the extra 100 is for unlimited custom tunes for the life of your truck (or yourself/hemifever).

You really can't get the FULL potential without a wideband O2 gauge. But you can get darn close.

--Dan

Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

o wait, so i giv hemi 375 and hell ship me an sct tuner as well as e-mail me as many custom tunes for my truck that i want?? wow thats a pretty sweet deal! heck yea ima do that. also, what is a wideband 02 gauge? funny thing is this started out as a $1500 oem replacement motor, then i wanted an airgap, then a cam, then hs 1.7 rr's. now i have to get a tuner. so im lookn at almost double my initial cost haha o well. also what cam do you guys reccomend? do i have to make any valvetrain mods with the cam? like is the HS 1.7's necessary or what?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

also, my trannys in good shape now, how will it hold up?

Quick Reply: new motor with cam, does it need a tune?