2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

which coil is best

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010 | 02:16 AM
99dodge318
|
Record Breaker
Default which coil is best

i was looking online and have found 3 different ignition coils. i plan on buying a msd 6al box, and i already have a new cap rotor, msd 8.5s, and copper plugs.
here are the 3 coils
first one is stock replacement
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...1&partid=22831
then the blaster 2
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...8&partid=23134
and the blaster 3
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...1&partid=23137
they are all about the same price and i was just wondering which would work the best with my setup

Old 08-27-2010 | 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Go with the stock replacement. It will bolt right into place, and hook right up. The 2 has the wrong terminal on it, and you would need to cut the harness connector off to wire it up. The 3 has the correct terminal, but, still need to cut the harness to wire it. Neither of them will mount nicely in the stock location.

The replacement feller is, I would think, a meaner part than the factory replacement in any event.

Old 08-27-2010 | 11:45 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I ran the hypertech coil and the MSD coil. Both were the same, except the MSD was about 10 dollars less.

BTW, if you get the MSD, you will need to cut the coil on that one anyway. The coil has the connection for a 94-98 coil 99 and up have a female connector, not the male that is on the MSD factory replacement.

YOu either buy the adapter OR you go to a junkyard and get the connector for an earlier 2ndgen.

So, you can get the blaster and just mount it in a different location. But i would get the stock one and slash a connector from a junkyard wiring harness.

--Dan

Old 08-27-2010 | 03:01 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

I've had really good luck with the Nology stuff on my race bike. It's all lifetime guarantee too, even the wires but the price of entry is steep. There is some pretty decent tech raeading on their site and I can't see where they say anything stupid, ie I believe this may be more than snake oil. I even called and had a chat with an engineer who seemed to know his stuff. I think they quoted me around $300 for everything I'd need to convert my RAM. They claim something like 8hp at peak RPM on some stock chevy 350 they tested. I'm not sure how true it is but my 13.5:1 ratio 11 grand redline thumper sure liked it compared to OEM Honda stuff. It's coming up on my short list but I have some stock tuneup parts to chew through first.

Quick Reply: which coil is best