2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange 'dimp dimp dimp' noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:38 PM
jlitvak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 'dimp dimp dimp' noise

I'm having a strange problem with my truck and would really appreciate any advice you all can offer. I have a 2001 1500 4x4 short bed with extended cab. The truck has been perfectly maintained and otherwise runs like a champ -- other than replacing the water pump, never had any trouble with it. I have about 120,000 miles on it. There is a very noticeable "dimp dimp dimp" noise (sorry, that's the best description I can come up for it), I hear in the cab, it's louder outside the truck. Symptoms:

--The noice stays at the same frequency and volume regardless of speed (I think engine/road sounds mask it when I'm driving at higher speeds)
--It does not occur when the truck is not moving
--The noise doesn't seem to be related to whether the truck is hot or cold
--Doesn't seem to be related to whether I'm braking

Wheel bearings? Suspension?

Thanks for your assistance!

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the front axle ujoints and hub bearings.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do it sound like a mouse - squeak squeak squeak.
check auto trans linkage under drivers feet area. where the up/down rod meet the front/back rod. plastic bushings that dry out and fall apart. more cheap dodge parts. apply heavy grease to silence. you can duplicate the noise by rocking the body on the drivers side.

click click click in 4wd truck when running in 2wd is front axles u-joints. wiggle back and forth to duplicate the noise. when they get real bad they make a clack clack clack sound. similar sounds in 4wd only are front drive shaft u-joints.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-28-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 PM
jlitvak
Default It was the front U-joint

Thanks for the advice. It was indeed the front right U-joint. I had both of them done because I figured it one of them went, the other was about to go, too. $350 for the pair, done at Sears. No more noise.

I appreciate the help.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:05 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

$350?????? dang...i got mine done for $80...but i bought my own u-joints and pulled the shafts and brought it to machine shop, $20 for each u-joint, and $40 to have them swapped at shop...

Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would those loose u joints cause shuddering or vibration during braking? I noticed (when the windows are down) that I hear a clack sound when I brake. It happens infrequently, but I still hear it.

It is like a phantom noise.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i have noticed a sound when braking as well, and have found its the sound of my rear brakes releasing ( mine does it when i let off the brake) ...hoping that may help...

Old 08-30-2010, 07:18 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
$350?????? dang...i got mine done for $80...but i bought my own u-joints and pulled the shafts and brought it to machine shop, $20 for each u-joint, and $40 to have them swapped at shop...
his $350 includes the labor of removing the brakes, hubs, pulling the shafts, and changing the joints. probably about 4-5 hours of labor. i was thinking it was a pretty fair price. i took me that long just to do one side...

Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
would those loose u joints cause shuddering or vibration during braking? I noticed (when the windows are down) that I hear a clack sound when I brake. It happens infrequently, but I still hear it.

It is like a phantom noise.
i doubt it. you can check u-joints by just twisting one half against the other. if its loose, you'll feel, hear, and see it. if bad - it would click whether braking or not.

i didn't notice mine were bad until driving by something with windows down and hearing the sound reflect back.

i'd guess your might be the caliper rattling. might need to grease the slide pins.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
jlitvak
Default U-joint replacement, brake noise

The guy let me watch him while he did the work. Easily a couple hours of some serious pounding and pulling. I think it was a fair price.

He showed me something interesting before he put it on the lift: With the truck turned off, he rocked it from the drivers side. The dimp-dimp-dimp noise went on for maybe 10 seconds after he stopped pushing. He said that was a dead giveaway for u-joints. I'm kicking myself for not paying attention to that noise.

As for the other comment in this thread about the brakes -- mine does it too when I release the pedal. Never considered it a problem and just had everything checked yesterday when I had the u-joints done. Given that everything checked out OK, I'm not going to worry about it.

Quick Reply: Strange 'dimp dimp dimp' noise