2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM and code P0601

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 PM
horsecrazychick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PCM and code P0601

2001 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L 130XXX miles, check engine light has been on since I have had it. Ran the code (only one) and got P0601 Internal Controller Failure. Ordered a flashed & programmed PCM, light went off for a few minutes then back on, warranted that PCM out, next one that came ran for a minute then no ignition/dash lights on next startup. Warranted out that one, they sent another, got CEL again with P0601, and again sent it back and now I'm on my last one and you guessed it, P0601 again.

What else in the electronic system can be causing this code??? The truck runs with the CEL on but shift patterns are erratic and gas mileage horrible. Also RPM in idle goes up and down.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing this and I'm considering sending it down the road at a $$ loss ****HELP****

Old 08-29-2010, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

there has got to be something else in there smoking the PCM. Getting five? bad ones in a row defies the odds. Check/clean ALL power and ground points for the PCM. (and any others you happen to find.) Check resistance/voltage supply of all sensors.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this one's way beyond me.
PM forum member "master tech" note the space.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ster-tech.html

Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by horsecrazychick
2001 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L 130XXX miles, check engine light has been on since I have had it. Ran the code (only one) and got P0601 Internal Controller Failure. Ordered a flashed & programmed PCM, light went off for a few minutes then back on, warranted that PCM out, next one that came ran for a minute then no ignition/dash lights on next startup. Warranted out that one, they sent another, got CEL again with P0601, and again sent it back and now I'm on my last one and you guessed it, P0601 again.

What else in the electronic system can be causing this code??? The truck runs with the CEL on but shift patterns are erratic and gas mileage horrible. Also RPM in idle goes up and down.

I'm at a loss as to what is causing this and I'm considering sending it down the road at a $$ loss ****HELP****
Trust me, I went through 4 or 5 computers myself trying to get rid of my p0601. On my last one, im finally good to go I first went through a company on ebay "autocomputerexchange" first one gave me wouldn't start the truck. Second one gave me the same p0601 code when I plugged it in. I got a refund after dealing with that POS company. Finally went local. Cardone is known for remanufactured parts. I did have to sift through a couple dud's from them as well. First one worked great for a month, then the light came back on. did a warranty return. Next one wouldn't start the truck. sent that back. The final one plugged it up and been fine ever since. Been going on a year now probably.

To be honest, quality control in reman pcm's must not be that great. First post which company you are dealing with for PCM's. if it is AutoComputerExchange... thats half your problem.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
horsecrazychick

It is Auto Computer Exchange! They don't question my returns, just send another PCM which is kind of a red flag. Great ~ I pick the one out of a hundred companies that is worthless!

So I should ask for a refund? The last guy I talked to from there tried to tell me that my battery was frying the PCM which I ignored because I know it isn't that.

Hope it won't be too hard to get a refund from them.........

Thanks for your replies ~ I'm new here and in the past have used Edmond's forum and already have 300% more responses because I never got any replies to my questions ~ U guys rock!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by horsecrazychick
It is Auto Computer Exchange! They don't question my returns, just send another PCM which is kind of a red flag. Great ~ I pick the one out of a hundred companies that is worthless!

So I should ask for a refund? The last guy I talked to from there tried to tell me that my battery was frying the PCM which I ignored because I know it isn't that.

Hope it won't be too hard to get a refund from them.........

Thanks for your replies ~ I'm new here and in the past have used Edmond's forum and already have 300% more responses because I never got any replies to my questions ~ U guys rock!!!
Yeah, I have a thread from last year when I delt with them. They always gave me the runaround. For ****s and Giggles, call and ask to speak to a supervisor if your bored, you'll never get one lol.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-my-luck.html

After my paypal claim was filed, I did get an email from the company through paypal claiming to be the boss of ACE. I'm pretty sure he gave me his personal number and offered me a discount on the 2nd pcm since I was so unsatisfied. Well after getting the 2nd computer not on time, and after plugging it in... it gave the same p0601 code so it was useless to me. I logged into paypal to see if I could find his name and number, but it just shows my original claim, and that emails were sent out (not the actual email details.) and because my school email account is small, emails are frequently deleted so I don't have that number for you, or name. Sorry.

http://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Aut...-Inc-206010186

One more thing... they claim to have the most up to date software for the pcms, they do not. I had my original pcm updated at dodge which moves the shift point to 52mph for OD. When I tossed in ACE's computer the second time, the shifting was wrong. (OD kicked in early). Just another lie from the company.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 08-30-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: PCM and code P0601