2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 dodge ram 1500 oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
zx6rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a little help

how to you post ur ?can you help

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 PM
S S0DEN
Professional

If your pump seized, you may have spun a bearing with the sudden loss of flow and now you are experiencing the effects of it as the engine reaches normal operating temp.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 PM
zx6rider

thank you guys i did not know how to post my own thread so i post my ? under where i did ... the screen on the intake tube was clogged i put new pump and pick up i think the top end heat sezied how do i tell if its a bearing or the hex drive from the crank and if thats it how do i replace it .. the truck sounds great when i start it way is this ??

Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

You need to find out what the problem is first..... I would get a mechanical gauge, and verify that you do indeed have a problem first. (which it really sounds like you do....) I just got a cheap 20 dollar gauge from the parts store.... its just temporary, so, doesn't need to be high dollar.

If you do indeed drop to zero pressure with a warm engine.... time to drop the pan, and have a look at some of your bearings, and the oil pump drive. (pump needs to come back off.....) If the drive shaft for the pump is worn, twisted, or otherwise buggered up, time for a new one.

You will also get to learn the mysteries of plastigage...... All it is is a claylike substance that looks a lot like string...... you cut a small piece off, stick it on the bearing surface to be check, and then torque the bearing cap into place.... the remove it, and compare it to the width chart on the package. (when you see it, it will make more sense.) If your clearances are out of spec, time for new bearings. Also, if the bearings are scarred, time to replace them as well.....

Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 AM
S S0DEN
Professional

I would just pluck that sucker out of the truck and get it on a stand when you verify that you are losing pressure, if your pump seized, I am afraid you may have a decent amount of damage and you may be considering a rebuild or replace.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:43 PM
luciusdustin

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You need to find out what the problem is first..... I would get a mechanical gauge, and verify that you do indeed have a problem first. (which it really sounds like you do....) I just got a cheap 20 dollar gauge from the parts store.... its just temporary, so, doesn't need to be high dollar.

If you do indeed drop to zero pressure with a warm engine.... time to drop the pan, and have a look at some of your bearings, and the oil pump drive. (pump needs to come back off.....) If the drive shaft for the pump is worn, twisted, or otherwise buggered up, time for a new one.

You will also get to learn the mysteries of plastigage...... All it is is a claylike substance that looks a lot like string...... you cut a small piece off, stick it on the bearing surface to be check, and then torque the bearing cap into place.... the remove it, and compare it to the width chart on the package. (when you see it, it will make more sense.) If your clearances are out of spec, time for new bearings. Also, if the bearings are scarred, time to replace them as well.....
where can a secondary manul oil pressur gauge be added to block without using existing oil sending unit

Old 04-24-2024, 05:47 PM
luciusdustin

does anyone know where a secondary oil pressur gauge be added to block without using existing oil sending unit

Old 04-24-2024, 05:54 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Back of the block has the oil port where the sender goes, If you are not going to use it remove it and hook the manual one up there. The sender also works the idiot light. You can add a "T" and still run them both.

Quick Reply: 1996 dodge ram 1500 oil pressure