2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gimmie a break !

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
no i took pictures, and had my haynes manual handy, it was installed right...did one side at a time, and matched up the parts exacally, so i feel theres a 98% everything is right.....when i adjust them, they are fine for 2-3K, then it gradually makes it so its only the front breaks stopping it.
Not saying YOU did it....... Maybe a previous brake job? I am also unsure if they are side specific...... (some are, some aren't, varies from manufacturer to manufacturer....... gotta keep the mechanics guessing.)

They really shouldn't do that.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by squarebit
Drilled/slotted rotors are for bling. They create stress points and lower braking surface area. Modern pads don't gas, and don't need venting. Anything other than a high quality solid rotor is a waste of money.

I see a lot of people on this forum asking about drilled/slotted rotors and very few posts with factually correct responses.

bull****. why do you think they put them on high performance stuff. i have drilled and slotted rotors from napa and ceramic pads with no problems. they are still like new after about 10k. and there was a noticable stopping difference after i put them on. and zero brake fad. i mean i can see you having problems if you go with some cheap rotors and pads. those you have a pic of probably came from indonesia or something.

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY LASTRIGHTS! it wont be long and you will be getting your ss check. lol

Last edited by talon6; 09-06-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I adjusted them on my 2500 when I bought it. Since then I've only put like 2000 miles on it. I checked them Saturday morning and they needed adjusting. Of course I don't know what kind of quality shoes were put on it. But the fact remains that the self adjusters don't work very good, along with the ABS.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:44 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by talon6
bull****. why do you think they put them on high performance stuff. i have drilled and slotted rotors from napa and ceramic pads with no problems. they are still like new after about 10k. and there was a noticable stopping difference after i put them on. and zero brake fad. i mean i can see you having problems if you go with some cheap rotors and pads.

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY LASTRIGHTS! it wont be long and you will be getting your ss check. lol

That pic shows some serious overheating. As in seized piston(s), slide pins etc....

Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Drilled/Dimpled rotors or for looks.

Slotted rotors do actually keep the rotors from warping under severe braking conditions.
The slot runs the entire surface of the rotor face for a reason, to relax the constant friction on the pad/rotor.

Most high performance apps don't use dimples, but if you like that look the dimples are better as they don't make the rotor weaker.

And Lastrights, if you have a 2000-2001 you can't upgrade the rear drums to 1 ton as the 1500-3500 use the same caliper in the back. The best brakes I've used are performance friction brakes, but they are noisy as hell.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Drilled/Dimpled rotors or for looks.

Slotted rotors do actually keep the rotors from warping under severe braking conditions.
The slot runs the entire surface of the rotor face for a reason, to relax the constant friction on the pad/rotor.

Most high performance apps don't use dimples, but if you like that look the dimples are better as they don't make the rotor weaker.

And Lastrights, if you have a 2000-2001 you can't upgrade the rear drums to 1 ton as the 1500-3500 use the same caliper in the back. The best brakes I've used are performance friction brakes, but they are noisy as hell.
You mean wheel cylinders? And the other good question in your post is not knowing what year it is. Almost 3800 posts and no info like that simple thing in his sig. LOL Come on bud, get with the program.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Happy Birthday Lastrights! Today is my second anniversary also! NOw I'm always gonna know when your damn bday is lol....

Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

And btw, not to sound like a jerk to a long time DF bro. But it's, Brakes not Breaks.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes wheel cylinders Lol. I was working on the front end changing the wheel bearing this weekend and I guess that stuck in my head. I believe the dual piston caliper might be the same on the front end too but don't quote me on that one.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

23? Getting old? Wait another 20 years when you hit my age, then talk about gettin' old, boy! LOL...

I intend to do Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads when my brakes need doing. Almost all the guys I know who pull/haul around farms and such go with slotted rotors. Must be a reason.

Data is good to a point, and yes, I've read data where slotted rotors dissipate heat better, stop better, etc.

My philosophy is just like with a good place to eat. You wanna get fed good and know the portions are big and the price ain't bad, look for where the truckers eat. You wanna know what mods are good for pickup trucks, look to see what the farmers and loggers use...

Quick Reply: gimmie a break !