2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

After Jumping My Sons Car off, My Truck Wont Start....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 PM
DaveBsDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Jumping My Sons Car off, My Truck Wont Start....

My son asked me to jump his car off today. Well after attempting a few times with nothing, he let it charge up.

Well, all of a sudden, my truck just stalls.

We tried to start it up my dodge again and no luck. Just spinning. Have plenty of fire but wasnt hearing the fuel pump prime.

So I tapped the tank and it started up.

Couple minutes go by and it idles out and dies. Then wont start again.

I swapped out the fuel pump relay with another one and same problem.

Sometimes it will turn on and run for a few seconds and sound like its starving out. Then out of no where it will idle up and then stall out again.

Other times it will just continue spinning without firing up.

Its a 1998 V6 Dodge 1500. Can anyone please help me? This is my only means of transportation and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

verify fuel pressure it should be 50psi plus or minus 5psi there is a test port on the fuel rail and testers are inexpensive..

Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my first guess would have been a blown fuse on your truck, but since it runs sporadically, it can't be a fuse. it could be coil or pcm or something else electrical, but- your description is pointing towards fuel pump, even though i can't think of any reason why you jumping his truck could possibly damage your fuel pump.

if you can check your fuel pressure with a gauge, you can rule in or out the fuel pump. there should be a test port on your drivers side fuel rail. see if you can rent or borrow a gauge from local parts store. should be about 49 psi +/- 5

in the meantime, when it won't start, check for 12 volt at the coil and spark at the spark plug.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
DaveBsDodge

Well I personally do not think its fuel pressure thats the problem. When the pump primes it will run for a few seconds and then die. When the pump doesnt prime, no start.

I swapped the fuel pressure relay with the same type relay and nothing. The problem is intermitten I am thinking.

Could my alternator possibly be the problem? Maybe I fried it? I have heard of them causing other weird problems.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM
DaveBsDodge

Well now the fuel pump will not come on at all.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once again..sounds like your fuel pump..pop off the fuel pump connector and verify voltage..

Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 AM
DaveBsDodge

Well my damn voltmeter kicked the bucket last night too. Headed to harbor frieght this morning to pick one up and start checking voltage. I tried to check by jumping the relay but I can't figure out figure out which two to jump. Looking at the fuse panel standing over the drivers side I jumped the farthest right prong in the set of 3 prongs on the fuel pump relay fuse w 12v and the ignition turned on but no power from the pump.

Just waiting to verify voltage before the next step.

Is it at all possible to fry the pump while jumping another car?

Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Probably not. More than likely, just a coincidence.

Grab the FSM in the FAQ section from this site, that will have wiring diagrams for the fuel pump circuit, and tell ya which terminals you need to jumper.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:33 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And since all that was done was putting jumper cables on, you may want to verify the cables and clamps are clean and tight at the battery.
You may have cut or loosened one those clamps suck..

Quick Reply: After Jumping My Sons Car off, My Truck Wont Start....