2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1/2 Infinity? Tweeters dont work

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:48 PM
markc522
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 Infinity? Tweeters dont work

I have what appears to be a base cd player head unit in my 01 offroad. (maybe offroad had something different)

I have the pillar tweeters, but they dont work. I pulled the covers off and they are wired in with what looks to be a factory setup. There is a sticker on the inside of the pillar cover that says 'inspected by infinity' or something like that.

Any ideas?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:57 AM
zaccaglin

My 99, doesn't have the infinity system, just the basic am/fm/cassette, and my front speakers had never worked since i bought it earlier this year, so i assumed there weren't any. So i eventually boguht some speakers and went to install them, when i did, theree was a speaker wired up in each door, and they didn't work, so i assumed the wired were cut somewhere, great, well i hooked the new ones up, and i had audio. Weird, so i assume they were blown? Maybe your tweeters are too.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Coolio
Amateur

If you have the tweeters in the pillar i'm pretty sure you have an infinity system in your truck. Mine is a 99 and my deck didn't say infinity or anything on it but it does (did) have the infiniti sound system. Dunno if your planning on adding an aftermarket deck and speakers but if you do just run all new wires. I just added a set of components to mine a couple of weeks ago because i only had two speakers out of six working. One of my tweeters and both of my front door speakers were shot, so they obviously will go out on you.

I really like the way the kicker components sound but if you don't want to go that route i suggest THESE. I believe they are the same ones that come in the component kit. With a little dremel work they fit perfectly. I'll post up a pick on mine if your interested.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
markc522
Rookie

How can I tell if its Infinity?
Doesnt the Infinity have amps and stuff?
I'd like to upgrade the head unit and maybe add a sub. The stock one turns up when I turn it down and down when I turn it up and sometimes does nothing.

If I do upgrade, I will be on a verrrry small budget.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 AM
FFFD827
Professional

I have an Infinity system in mine. anyone know where the factory amp is? i changed the head unit and put my own amp under the seat but i dont know where the factory one is. also my tweets dont work havnt pulled them yet...is it hard to remove the pillar? iv never had mine off

Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are four amps in the infinity system, one at each speaker. I believe the tweets are wired to the front door amps as well. It's my understanding that the tweeters only came with the infinity system, so if you have tweeters in your A pillars, you will have the infinity

Old 09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
markc522
Rookie

So, if I get a new HU then I'm looking at getting new speakers and re-wire?
Basically loose the entire stock system, and start from scratch.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
TLars
Rookie

If anyone has a gray A pillar with a working factory tweeter with factory wiring plug...I'm looking to keep my stock system, but I broke the driver side tweeter. I can provide smooth A pillar or if you want to carefully remove the tweeter (easily done) I'd love to have it!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

No some infinity speakers and amps will be compatible with a new head unit. My 2002 was and all the amps remain in the truck with my new clarion deck. The guy at the sterio shop told me that about 50% of the infinity systems have to have the speaker wires routed around the amps with a new deck to eliminate the speaker amp so it may be worth having a sterio shop do the install and take a look at how the infinity system in your truck is wired in.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM
another tranny

i know this is old but since i came across this thread means other read it to
So...
If your just upgrading out of the stock infinity 6x9's you don't have to start cutting everything out and rewire.
Simply dismount & remove the amp from the back of the factory 6x9 with care and remount it on to the new 6x9 and wire everything back up to the infinity amp, even saves you money on buying new interior amp and keep your'e factory wiring harness. here's a video on how to DIY
(
)

Quick Reply: 1/2 Infinity? Tweeters dont work