2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Advice for buying a RAM 1500 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its either 5.2 or 5.9 both great motors !

Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 PM
gelloff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply nice pic by the way.

How many miles to they normaly do before trubble??

Thanks

Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

100,000 miles or kilometers? Engine will be either 5.2, or 5.9. (hopefully it isn't the V-6) I think the back set of doors started in 98..... would be rather handy, but, I like my nice solid cab, and am not about to change it, or hack on it in that fashion.

Only thing you can really do to increase fuel economy is maintenance the crap out of it. Tune up, new fluids and filters, etc. Driving style has more to do with it though, and new O2 sensors... The drive isn't that bad. (less than what mine was when I did the commute thing.....) Have a look, see what ya think, let us know.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

motors will go up to 300xxx miles before needig a rebuild, tranny will last too if ya take care of it !

Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 AM
spankythedog

I haven't seen so much on this forum, but have on others. The charcoal canister in the emission control system is know for blowing around 100k miles and flooding the vacuum system with charcoal. Happened to me.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 AM
murren
Amateur

My 97 has 10700 miles on it and I have never had a drivetrain issue (find me a piece of wood to knock on)..replaced the fuel pump, brakeline (rusted through), and a few small things, but overall, I'll never give her up! Good luck with your purchase.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM
gelloff

Thank you for the replys.

This is as far as I am aware must be on of the most reliable vehicles I have come across in a long time. However I do have some conserns as I am quite a novice with mecanical things but can change oil, filteres etc...

I have been looking for a user manual for it on line but no look.

Silly question but I need to ask where do I check the tranny oil. If there are signs of it been resently changed will it still beable to tell via the oil?

Also does the rear transfer suffer any play etc.. or do I just need to check for clunking etc...

Thanks

Last edited by gelloff; 09-14-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

trans fluid should be bright red and smell sweet not burned..if your not sure a filter and fluid change is good insurance and lack of it being done gives these trucks a bad name when it comes to transmissions.. Does it shift smoothly? our trannies are notorious for having issues with governor pressure solenoid and sensor which can cause it to hesitate when shifting and shift late or not at all...(usually throws codes you can only see with a reader.) also check for any slop in front end components....nothing should be loose or this may cost you big $ down the road if left unrepaired...
also jack up front wheels and check for play, wheel bearing like to fail especially if larger wheels are involved...

Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 PM
gelloff

Thanks for the replys. As the RAM 2nd Gen... I am interested in is for sale but the seller has mentioned no price. I understand in the USA the prices will be diffrent.

But can some let me know what they go for there as I am not going to pay silly money for something I could get for half the price

Ok it is:

-Dodge RAM 1500 V8
-Quad cab but front doors only (6 seats total)
-It is a mid 1997 model
-115k Miles
- All original
- Interior OK (has the classic crack on the dash)
- Exterior Ok (crome needs cleaning and a few knocks to the bumpers)
-Tyers 60% on original wheels
- Broken front window passenger side

I am still not sure on exact engine size as I forgot to mention that. Also I forgot to ask does the 97 come with A/C.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

yes, my 95 has a/c...but not all came with a/c, it was an option

rockers and bottom of doors also have a tendency to roit out...(like mine, which is in the process of being fixed)

Quick Reply: Advice for buying a RAM 1500 2nd gen