2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 5.9l 4x4 running hot and funny oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM
dannieboiz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 5.9l 4x4 running hot and funny oil pressure gauge

I just bought a 1997 1500 Ram 5.9l 4x4 everything is in very good shape for its age.

I was doing a 70 miles trip home and the tempt was running at about 3/4 the entire time.

When I pulled into an exit, my oil pressure dropped to 0 and stayed there. It would go back to normal if I pop it in neutral and everytime I pop it into gear it would go back to zero. When the truck is moving it's fine though.

Was wondering if these two are related?

When I turn on the heater it was hot/warm and there were times it was very hot. I'm hoping the heat is just a thermostat issue. I checked the oil and it's not milky.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

For the oil pressure.... sounds a lot like an electrical problem. Either a short somewhere, (maybe somewhere close to the shift linkages......) or a bad sending unit.

Change the thermostat, and do a cooling system flush, including a descaler. Does your cooling system hold pressure?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 PM
dannieboiz

how can I tell if the cooling system hold pressure?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Run the engine warm, (temp gauge tells you its up to operating temp.) and squeeze the upper radiator hose. Should be pretty solid, and stay that way for a while after you shut the engine off. The engine will have to cool quite a bit for the pressure to go down.

Also, while it is pressurized, and you have the hood open..... look around for leaks. That is the best time to find 'em.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
dannieboiz

I will try that tomorrow morning. thanks!

BTW: I did a quick seach here and it seems quite common to have this oil pressure issue.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if its holding pressure, then its acting normal and the level in the overflow tank varies very little, if any.

if its not holding pressure then its spewing a lot of coolant into the overflow tank or out some leak somewhere.

your temp should remain steady about 195 or 200. if its not doing that, you should check/maybe replace your t-stat. also consider that your radiator might be stopped up - either the air flow or the coolant flow. as a test, you can run with no t-stat. with no t-stat and good radiator temp should run about 160.

Quick Reply: 97 5.9l 4x4 running hot and funny oil pressure gauge